Old 11-03-2004, 06:32 AM
NTANTIQUES

Default Buds! Buds!

We've had a flush of very warm weather this week in the San Francisco Bay Area
and my roses are going bonkers. The Mrs. Sam McGredy climber I put in 3 years
ago has won our backyard " first to bud sweepstakes," honoring us with not
just one, but dozens of baby buds today. Planted next to a pergola, in a fairly
unauspicious location, it's taken a while to get established, but in a bit we
should have one heck of a display. Ah roses - in a blink they can wipe aside
the memory of a cold, rainy, poopy winter. God love 'em.
NT
Old 13-03-2004, 04:36 AM
ben boorman

Just to be a jerkkkkkk:

Los Angeles, Zone 10:
Helmut Schmidt Blooming
Passionate Blooming cuttings in the house
Cecile Brunner Blooming
JFK Blooming cuttings in the house
Mutabulis Blooming
Hot Cocoa trying
Proud Land Blooming
St. Patricks trying
Playboy Blooming cuttings in the house
Marmalade Sky Blooming
Kaleidoscope trying
Molineuz trying
Chris Evert Blooming
Brilliant Pink Blooming
Royal Sunset trying

don't even get me started on what is budding down here.

Sorry, just bragging.

Old 13-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Mark. Gooley

"NTANTIQUES" wrote
We've had a flush of very warm weather this week in
the San Francisco Bay Area and my roses are going
bonkers. The Mrs. Sam McGredy climber I put in 3
years ago has won our backyard " first to bud
sweepstakes," honoring us with not just one, but
dozens of baby buds today...

North peninsular Florida, zone 8b. Prosperity, Westerland,
Old Blush in bloom -- just barely. Various others in bud.
I do confess that most bushes are simply putting out new
growth; some of the more-heavily deciduous are still nearly
bare, such as the rugosas and some of the old garden roses.

What I'm really looking forward to is the Leontine Gervais
blooming. It grew a great deal last year, and I think it blooms
only on old wood...now it has a lot of that...

Mark.

Old 13-03-2004, 02:51 PM
dave weil

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 07:29:12 -0500, "Mark. Gooley"
wrote:

"NTANTIQUES" wrote
We've had a flush of very warm weather this week in
the San Francisco Bay Area and my roses are going
bonkers. The Mrs. Sam McGredy climber I put in 3
years ago has won our backyard " first to bud
sweepstakes," honoring us with not just one, but
dozens of baby buds today...

North peninsular Florida, zone 8b. Prosperity, Westerland,
Old Blush in bloom -- just barely.

Old Blush (the climbing variety) is always the first to bloom in my
yard in Nashville as well. I'm a few weeks away from that (thankfully,
as it got down to 29 last night and will do the same tonight).

This year is one of dread since the Old Blush (Cl) got witches' broom
late last year on one cane. I'm hoping beyond hope that I caught the
viral infection early enough and cut the cane before it had a chance
to spread. I'm watching it pretty carefully as it starts to leaf out.

I'd really hate to lose this plant. It covers a 15 foot area on a
chain link fence.
Old 13-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Shiva

Mark. Gooley wrote:

"NTANTIQUES" wrote
We've had a flush of very warm weather this week in
the San Francisco Bay Area and my roses are going
bonkers. The Mrs. Sam McGredy climber I put in 3
years ago has won our backyard " first to bud
sweepstakes," honoring us with not just one, but
dozens of baby buds today...

North peninsular Florida, zone 8b. Prosperity, Westerland,
Old Blush in bloom -- just barely. Various others in bud.
I do confess that most bushes are simply putting out new
growth; some of the more-heavily deciduous are still nearly
bare, such as the rugosas and some of the old garden roses.

Central Piedmont North Carolina, zone 7b. The forsythia is
blooming and I'm finishing pruning today! (But there is a bunch
of new red growth.)

Old 13-03-2004, 08:31 PM
Sandy

What is witches broom?! Sandy

Old 13-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Sandy

What is witches broom?! Sandy

Old 13-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Sandy

What is witches broom?! Sandy

Old 13-03-2004, 09:03 PM
dave weil

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 14:24:52 -0500, "Sandy" wrote:

What is witches broom?! Sandy

It's the manefestation of the dreaded virus "Rose Rosette". It is a
devastaing disease.

http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/plantdisease/g980.htm

Fortunately, I've read that if you catch it early enough on long
canes, you can stop the spread before it hits the crown of the plant.
If you don't, you might as well just dig up the plant.

http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/plantdisease/g980.htm

It's caused by mites which transmit the disease. Fortunately, it
doesn't necessarily mean that your plant is infected with said mites,
as the bite of a single one can transmit the disease. That's why
current wisdom is that the plant doesn't *necessarily* spread the
virus to other plants. That's my hope, at least.

Old 15-03-2004, 06:32 AM
farmgal

And the winners midway between S.F. and Sacramento are....
Mutabilis and a hybrid Tea named Perfume Tiger

---

Old 21-03-2004, 03:08 AM
Shiva

farmgal wrote:

And the winners midway between S.F. and Sacramento are....
Mutabilis and a hybrid Tea named Perfume Tiger

Oo, I want Perfume Tiger! Purple stripes, yes?

Mutabilis is great here in swampy NC, too. Resists
fungal disease, too.

Old 21-03-2004, 03:08 AM
Shiva

farmgal wrote:

And the winners midway between S.F. and Sacramento are....
Mutabilis and a hybrid Tea named Perfume Tiger

Oo, I want Perfume Tiger! Purple stripes, yes?

Mutabilis is great here in swampy NC, too. Resists
fungal disease, too.

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 04:57 AM
Buds - Buds.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 4 31-07-2007 03:33 AM
Buds not opening jenny2write Roses 3 02-06-2003 04:32 PM
No Buds On Plum Trees John Edible Gardening 2 14-03-2003 07:56 PM
P. Dtps. Buds Shriveling Pristella Orchids 1 12-02-2003 08:25 PM