Old 11-03-2004, 01:30 PM
Kirra

Default Repeat OGR and winter expose

"Unique Too" wrote in message
We are partial to older varieties but understand that many (all?) of
these bloom only once a season, which probably won't work for us-at
least not as an exclusive variety. So, what would you plant if you
were me? Finally, would you recommend some quality growers who ship
via mailorder, as well?

I'm not even close to your zone so I can't recommend any specific roses

for
you, but I want to clear up the misconception that most of the old roses

are
once bloomers. Certainly some of them are, but there are thousands of
varieties that are repeat bloomers.

Thanks for clearing this up as there are some very nice old roses that are
repeat bloomers. I have some tea and noisettes that are doing very well with
repeat bloom and they are under 12 months in the ground.

The initial poster did not say which zone they were from (I imagine 5-6) but
I had a look on some web sites to see whether any teas are winter hardy.
Aparently there are some teas that can go down to zone 6 that might be
applicable which I found interesting as I thought they were for warmer
zones. Don't ask me about whether this was with or without protection as I
am in a frost-free zone and in no place to be recommending roses for place
that get winters.

Actually, I would be interested in knowing if anyone has successfully done
the opposite to winter protect (winter expose?). I bought a Mme Hardy, not
realising it needed a cold zone to grow in, and need to convince it that it
is in a colder zone than 10. It is planted where it will get shade from
about mid-day and I was wondering if I could trick it by placing ice on the
ground around it on our coldest mornings. If all else fails, I'll just have
to dig it up and ship it to family who live in zone 8.

Kirra
"From a continent where our *alpine* region is only zone 7"
Brisbane, Australia
z10