Old 13-03-2004, 12:05 AM
Anne Lurie

Default Yahoo Groups, was [something else]

Kirra, I've been a subscriber of both newsgroups and mailing lists for a
number of years, but I think "Yahoo Groups" is a hybrid.

I may be wrong, but as I recall, the last time I even *thought* about
joining a Yahoo Group, I was *really* put off by the invasive nature of the
process to sign up for one. (and I already had a well-used, long-time Yahoo
screen name for gaming purposes -- and if anyone here has ever played
WordRacer, you darned know well who I am!)

BTW, I understand Susan's point about being too busy to deal with mailing
lists -- and I also view Yahoo Groups as being more "mailing list"
[messages come to me whether I want them or not] than "newsgroup" [there for
me to visit, or not, the choice is mine].

Just my two-cents-worth,

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Kirra" wrote in message
Susan wrote:
BTW, Dan, thanks for the invite but I just can't join any mailing lists
at this time. My problem is that I simly do not have the time to be
involved with any more lists than I already am. With newsgroups, I can
drop in and out as I desire and don't quite feel the obligation to
contribute that I do with mailing lists.

Actually Susan, Yahoo groups do not have to be used as mailing lists. When
you sign up to a group you can select to only read the messages online
rather than have the emails sent to you. I do this with a couple of Yahoo
groups and it allows me to read/contribute as much or as little I like as
time allows. In fact, I don't think you even have to be a member of this
particular group to read the posts.

Cheers,

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia

Old 13-03-2004, 12:39 AM
JimS.

Annie,

I both agree and disagree with some of your statements about Yahoo groups.
You can configure your Yahoo group membership either way-- to just read the
postings, if you want; or to have them delivered directly to your email
address, if you prefer. I've done it both ways, and I agree it definitely
becomes a pain in the butt to have emails you don't care about clogging your
mailbox.

But you can chose "no email, I'll read the postings online" and you won't
get them. However, I think Yahoo still spies on you too much and collects
too much marketing info on you. That's easier to outsmart on usenet groups.

My main beef with Yahoo groups has already been touched upon by several
people--- Since ANYONE can make one-- they do! Do a search on a keyword
or two and check out how many Yahoo groups have about 10 members and no
postings for weeks or months. It's so easy to create one, people get
carried away-- making more and more narrowly-focused groups that appeal to
fewer and fewer people.

I think it makes more sense to post on existing groups and be specific in
your subject line. It's easy enough to ignore usenet postings that don't
interest you.

JimS.
Seattle

.com...