Old 08-04-2004, 12:32 PM
kate

Default Antique roses at...WalMart?

"theoneflasehaddock" wrote in message
om...
(Hamp) wrote in message

. com...
"Mark. Gooley" wrote in message

Yep. Old Blush, St. David's, Blush Noisette, Mutabilis,
and a few others, apparently on their own roots, for about
$7 each at a WalMart StuporCenter in north Florida, fairly
good size in 2-ish gallon pots. First they sell some own-root
bare-root bushes, roots packed in wood waste in those
nasty little plastic-wrapped cylinders, earlier in the year,
and now this.

Yeah, I bought a couple that I don't already have. Mixed
emotions he it's good to see fine old varieties offered
in the mass market, and apparently on their own roots, but
this might do the small rose nurseries more harm than good:
people will expect bigger plants for less money. Compared
with the small but vigorous bushes I have gotten by mail-order
from e.g. The Uncommon Rose and Chamblee's, these are
giants (if a bit bedraggled from shipping and WalMart
handling) -- and that's the problem.

Mark., should have spotted the trend coming

Obviously Mike doesn't work at Walmart. Wonder which Rose Nursery
he's affliatedwith that's getting hurt by the super centers. I try
not to be prejudiced against or for any seller. I want a decent
product at a fair price. Often I get this from online sources such as
Chamblees or Antique Rose Imporium and local Nurserys but I'm not
opposed to purchasing anything from any source if I want. As to
Walmart's return policy, it's far better than any nursery or online
retailer I've dealt with. They will give a replacement or refund with
no questions.
Hamp

Oh, sure, criticizing Walmart in favor of other nurseries means he
works for a plant nursery.

Not all who dislike Walmart are paid to dislike it. Personally, I've
gotten plants there that have died almost immediately when put in sun,
becuase they had adjusted to so much shade. Thier conditions aren't
good, and thier plants may well die if not adjusted right.

Sweet troll o' mine......If you cut the runners off of *new* roses, such as
tea roses, and plant them elsewhere, they return to their old-rose state.
Am I mistaken? I've done this quite a bit and get wild looking roses, a
different color from the original and they're climbing, not tea roses. Even
if they don't revert back to old roses, it's a beautiful vine. One of my
Tropicans was replanted on the other side of my yard, just runners, and it
took off like the wild roses do. It's a deep red instead of orange like the
Tropicana, and has only one row of petals on each rose. I've never quite
understood this.....It's prolific though! Covers my back corner fence in
abundance. Much thornier than a tea rose also. I do know that it's probably
one of the roses that the Tropicana was bred from, but curious to know if
it's indeed a *wild rose*, or an *old rose*.

kate

ps- Sure would like to see a pic of your yard sometime.

-
theoneflasehaddock

Old 08-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Mark. Gooley

"kate" wrote
Sweet troll o' mine......If you cut the runners off of
*new* roses, such as tea roses, and plant them
elsewhere, they return to their old-rose state.
Am I mistaken? I've done this quite a bit and get
wild looking roses, a different color from the original
and they're climbing, not tea roses. Even if they don't
revert back to old roses, it's a beautiful vine. One of
my Tropicans was replanted on the other side of my
yard, just runners, and it took off like the wild roses do.
It's a deep red instead of orange like the Tropicana,
and has only one row of petals on each rose. I've never
quite understood this.....It's prolific though! Covers
my back corner fence in abundance. Much thornier than
a tea rose also. I do know that it's probably one of the
roses that the Tropicana was bred from, but curious to
know if it's indeed a *wild rose*, or an *old rose*.

Uh, are you removing suckers from the base of a grafted
rose? Then you're getting the rootstock, which is usually
a red rose called "Dr. Huey," which some people, notably
English rosarian Peter Beales, think is worth growing on
its own. It's also known as "Shafter." It dates from 1914.
It grows to about 12 to 14 feet, dark red blooms, 15 petals
or so, 2" wide, mild fragrance, once-blooming each year.
See http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=1550 for
more details.

Mark.

It's not a reversion

Old 08-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Larry Blanchard

I don't know about our Walmart (Spokane, WA), but I was at our
Fred Meyer store yesterday and they had several hybrid rugosa
varieties and some other old roses. I bought a red Grootendorst
for $5.99.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?
Old 09-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Unique Too

What you are finding is the rootstock. It is not a parent of the original
rose. Many of the roses sold are grafted onto the roots of a different rose.
The rootstock you have growing is probably Dr. Huey.