Old 03-02-2003, 06:00 PM
R & L Porter

Default Dormant spray

Hi all,

every year I have had problems with rose slugs (sawfly larvae)
and spend the early part of summer picking and squishing.
Eventually I give up, but they don't -- they continue to
munch away and end up skeletonizing the leaves of their
fave roses.

I was wondering if an application of dormant oil in the
Spring would help smother the larvae -- on the canes
and on the surrounding earth. Any ideas, opinions?

Thanks,
Laura

Old 03-02-2003, 06:58 PM
Theo Asir

Hey Laura, long time.

I just dormant sprayed
yesterday. First few days of above
freezing temp in a month.

It is now raining!!!!
Anyone know if that affects the dormant spray
effectiveness.

To answer your question. Apparently
dormant spray kills grubs by smothering them.

So you should spray in early spring when
the slugs are starting to crawl out but the roses
are still dormant.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 03-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Daniel Hanna

In R & L Porter wrote:
I was wondering if an application of dormant oil in the
Spring would help smother the larvae -- on the canes
and on the surrounding earth. Any ideas, opinions?

We've had something like this discussion before. I've always been
intrigued by the American term 'dormant' spray. If what we're talking
about is a petroleum oil, water miscible spray then it's the same as the
white oil and pest oil sprays sold in Australia. See eg:

http://www.amgrowgardenking.com.au/p...s_whiteoil.htm

On roses, this stuff is great all season. Without being toxic it
manages to smother aphids, scale insects, mites, mildew, black spot and
others. I can see absolutely no difference in effect compared to neem
oil (which is trendy but works basically the same way, at 5 times the
cost).
Old 03-02-2003, 09:14 PM
Daniel Hanna

In Theo Asir wrote:
So you should spray in early spring when
the slugs are starting to crawl out but the roses
are still dormant.

Here's another link about the use of oil sprays:
http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/fac...oducts_36.html
Old 03-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Theo Asir

Dormant oil is usually horticultural oil PLUS lime-sulphur.

The oil as you noted is not harmful but the lime sulphur WILL
cause leaves to fall off.

I've tried white oil here but it needs to be reapplied
after each rain. Also once the insects have hatched
it has no effect.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"Daniel Hanna" wrote in message
home.com.au...

Old 09-02-2003, 05:05 PM
R & L Porter

"Theo Asir" wrote in message
Hey Laura, long time.

Hey Theo, right back at ya.

To answer your question. Apparently
dormant spray kills grubs by smothering them.

So you should spray in early spring when
the slugs are starting to crawl out but the roses
are still dormant.

Thanks, but tell me, why did you spray already?
Is it already early spring for you?

Laura

Old 10-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Theo Asir

My early spray is mostly to take
care of Blackspot & other spores lurking
in the mulch.

I will spray atleast twice more with the last being
just before spring.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City