Old 22-03-2004, 05:43 PM
Azar

Default Hedge Rose for oklahoma city Zone 7

Hi,

I want to plant a hedge of roses . One will be on the east side of the
house and the 2nd will be on the north side of the house. Both will be
in full sun. Also our soil is clay soil.

Any recommendations for a low maintainence aromatic plant?

thanks in advance.
Old 24-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Sunflower

"J. Del Col" wrote in message
m...
(Azar) wrote in message

. com...
Hi,

I want to plant a hedge of roses . One will be on the east side of the
house and the 2nd will be on the north side of the house. Both will be
in full sun. Also our soil is clay soil.

Any recommendations for a low maintainence aromatic plant?

thanks in advance.

Rugosas. They are vigorous, tough, thorny, and more or less
everblooming, with flowers scented of cloves and other spices. They
are low maintenance roses if ever there were any. Just one
caution---don't spray them with pesticides or fungicides. They don't
need it, and their leaves can be damaged by such sprays.

J. Del Col

Rugosas hate high heat combined with humidity. My most successful ones have
afternoon shade here and still manage to look horribly ratty by August.

If you are a true zone 7, then nothing beats the china roses for a hedge.
Archduke Charles combines the health of an ordinary woody ornamental (no
spraying whatsoever) with the twigginess of a good hedging plant, the
constant bloom of an annual, and the scent of spicy honey. You may want to
winter protect them the first year until they become established, but the
chinas are also a lot more winter hardy than most books rate them to be.
Plenty of folks grow them in a solid zone 6 with minimal dieback. You can
get reasonably large plants from Chamblee's
http://www.chambleeroses.com/ or
much larger (and more expensive plants) from the Antique Rose Emporium
http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/ They also root rather easily, allowing
you to perhaps purchase several plants to start your hedge and then you can
make new plants of your own to extend it.

Sunflower
MS 7b

Old 24-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Theo

Sorry Sunflower I have to disagree.

China's in my experience are not very drought
or disease tolerant. Their twigginess can be a serious
maintenance problem. Oklahama City despite its Zone 7
classification occasionally get 0 F frosts.

This is a serious no no for a china. Anything below 20F
causes kill almost to the crown/ground line leaving you this
incredible tangled mess to clear.

A much better bet would be Buck roses. Some grow rather large
due to their laxa genes. Apple Jack in particular makes
a nice drought resistant, super tough 4' high shrub. There are
many others that perform similarly.

You can get Buck roses from those same stores.

--
Theo

in KC Z5

Old 24-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Sunflower

"Theo" wrote in message
s.com...
Sorry Sunflower I have to disagree.

China's in my experience are not very drought
or disease tolerant. Their twigginess can be a serious
maintenance problem. Oklahama City despite its Zone 7
classification occasionally get 0 F frosts.

This is a serious no no for a china. Anything below 20F
causes kill almost to the crown/ground line leaving you this
incredible tangled mess to clear.

A much better bet would be Buck roses. Some grow rather large
due to their laxa genes. Apple Jack in particular makes
a nice drought resistant, super tough 4' high shrub. There are
many others that perform similarly.

You can get Buck roses from those same stores.

--
Theo

in KC Z5

Theo, you're zone 5. Kaye in the Fort Smith hilly suburbs which is
borderline 6/7 grows a LOT of different chinas quite successfully. Here's
her photo album of them.
http://www.picturetrails.com/gallery...529&uid=647794
Even here in my 7b, we had several weeks of below 20 weather this past
winter and I had NO dieback whatsoever. I DO spray mine with WiltPruf to
keep the winds from drying them out, as that is where most of the winter
damage comes from. Chinas are a lot more winter hardy than most folks think
they are. Ann Peck is growing a couple of dozen of them in the mountains of
E. TN in a solid zone 6, and many more people in the PA and NY area also
manage to grow them successfully. I NEVER spray mine for disease, and they
never suffer more than 20% defoliation. I'm in an incredible swamp of a
climate with humidity ranging from 80-100% in the summer and with temps in
the 90's from May through September. Chinas thrive here. Their twiggines is
an advantage in a hedging situation, and I've never found it to be any type
of maintainace issue. I mostly just let them be what they want to be with
very little pruning. But, if you're into a lot of shaping and hacking, you
can prune them with hedge clippers, for goodness sake. :~) They're the
nearest thing to a carefree rose that I've come across.

I do like the Buck roses, especially his yellow and apricot ones like Prarie
Sunrise and Prarie Harvest, and they *are* disease resistant. But, I think
of them as individual specimen roses and not hedging roses. And, they cannot
put out the sheer amount of blooms that any china will. I'm totally serious
when I say there isn't a single moment from April through November when you
can't find a blossom on Mutabilis, or Cramoisi Superieur, or Arethusa, or a
dozen more.

Sunflower
MS 7b

Old 24-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Theo

I do grow China's here.
The key word is they manage to grow them.

Oklahoma is unfortunately not a swamp. We get the most
interminable droughts here in midwest. Last year was particularly bad.

Every free growing rose in my area died including the Dr Huey's!!

I know my zone may be a bit colder but the climate patterns in
Oklahoma City are very similar to KC.

As a casual grower I doubt he wants to irrigate his rose hedge.
As such my buck roses wilted but survived last years drought with
a minimum of watering.

While this winter was nasty in terms of weather it was actually quite warm.
The lowest temp I measured near Hermosa was -2 F. Yet it is dead to 6" off
the ground.
And Hermosa is supposedly the toughest of the Cold hardy China's. And
beleive me
I'm not looking forward to clearing that mess. My Slaters
Crimson has been a disappointment. It crisps completely as soon as the
humidity
dips below 15%. Something wrong with the vascular system of that one.

[...]

You know thats what I thought too.
But You should have seen Pearlie Mae and Winter Sunset perform. Easily
matched hermosa and old blush bloom for bloom ever though they are
just one year old and 18" high.
They have so much more sustance than the Chinas and don't burn when
we get those scorching dry west winds. My chinas blooms are usually gone by
noon time in our scorching summers. and then you have the ugly litter of
scorched petal lying everywhere and blowing around.

I seriously think Buck roses perform their best in our brutal summers. It
may
be they don't perform as well in other climates.

--
Theo

in KC Z5