GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   `Blue Girl' Rose...advice before planting (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/568-re-%60blue-girl-rose-advice-before-planting.html)

Scopata Fuori 04-02-2003 12:31 AM

`Blue Girl' Rose...advice before planting

Wal-Mart roses are
notoriously awful in many respects and turn off more people from growing
roses than make them happy with their successes.

And when they're marked down to $2 and they're so sorry looking, yet with
great canes, I can't help it. :)

That said:

In early spring, some Walmarts (SuperCenters especially) will get one
shipment of tree roses. I forget the brand, (it's forgettable). They had two
sizes, a three and a four foot tree rose, I believe, for $11.97 and $14.97.

I bought six, and lost only one. We'll see how they survive the winter. I
have put that foam pipe insulation over the trunks, and piled up the mulch.
Two are planted in the garden and the other three are in large featherweight
foam planters. Am I ever glad I did that, rather than the hugely heavy stone
or concrete ones!

My only peeve, other than the poor pruning they had recieved for shipment,
was that one of the roses labeled as Angel Face was not...I'd say it's a
Chrysler Imperial, as it is identical to the other one that I bought as
labeled such.

I wouldn't mind so much, but they were both planted to flank my archway, and
mauvey-purple just looks bad next to the "matching" red-red of Chrysler
Imperial. Add the red blooms of Blaze on the arch, and the Tropicana(?) and
Miss All American Beauty at the base...and my carefully planned color scheme
is a cacaphony of color. The tree roses were supposed to match! And
surprise, they didn't. Oh well.

Scopata Fuori

Zphysics1 04-02-2003 03:56 AM

`Blue Girl' Rose...advice before planting

I got two dozen Sterling Silver roses from Home Depot on sale for $2.87 each.
Planted them a couple of weeks ago and all but one are surviving and are doing
well. I thought it was a good buy. I sure hope so. So far, so good.

I mixed the soil with "Bumper Crop" which contains bat quano, chicken manure,
and compost. I also added a cup of earthworm casting mixed with the soil.

HTH

/z.

Bob Bauer 04-02-2003 06:04 PM

`Blue Girl' Rose...advice before planting

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 18:31:43 -0500, "Scopata Fuori"
wrote:

And when they're marked down to $2 and they're so sorry looking, yet with
great canes, I can't help it. :)

One thing you have to watch out for is that the 'bagged bare root'
roses that you buy cheaply at Wal-Mart are almost 100 percent infected
with Rose Mosaic Virus. A lot of the generic Texas rose growers just
don't care about you and flood the market with these defective plants.

Now RMV won't kill the plants, but it does hurt them in the vigor
department and can sometimes cause the bush to look quite bad.

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City