Old 02-04-2004, 04:37 AM
L.S.Lamey

Default I think I did a B-A-A-A-D thing ...

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:46:59 -0500 (EST), "Shiva"
wrote:

L.S.Lamey wrote:

Hello Shiva my sweet.

Hello, my old friend.

It's been a long time.

It has! It's always wonderful to see you
around.

blush
she still loves me.

I live in Colorado now,
single dad, Doing good...if ya know what I mean.

I think I do, and I'm really glad. I think about
you often, and bet that handsome boy is big now!
This email works, maybe I'll get a pic or two?

I got to get some pics. Got a digital at work, I'll borrow it. He's
not all that big, he's 6 now, but little for his age.

How have you been?

Old 02-04-2004, 06:02 AM
L.S.Lamey

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 02:08:52 GMT, L.S.Lamey
wrote:

Your mail bounced.

try me

teandson
@
the " you've got mail" thingie.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Unique Too

Shiva, I just read an article by Malcom Manners titled "Ultimate Easy Roses."
He lists eight favorites "with cast-iron constitutions that they are truly
carefree in our climate." I was very surprised to see R. rugosa rubra listed.
The article says it is the roots, not the tops that resent the heat. "Grafted
on Fortuniana.....it gets no diseases at all, blooms nearly constantly and is a
tight compact bush."
I don't know if the rugosas are routinely available grafted on any rootstock,
but after seeing photos of them in Suzy Verners book I think I'll start
looking.

You know, Charles, I think part of the problem
with mine is that it just gets too hot here
for it to be happy. Larry, another poster here,
says his stays in bloom and is care free. Mine
blooms once then squeezes out a few while looking
really ugly--lots of brown leaves, though I
baby it.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Mark. Gooley

"Unique Too" wrote:
Shiva, I just read an article by Malcom Manners titled
"Ultimate Easy Roses." He lists eight favorites "with
cast-iron constitutions that they are truly carefree in our
climate." I was very surprised to see R. rugosa rubra
listed.
The article says it is the roots, not the tops that resent
the heat. "Grafted on Fortuniana.....it gets no diseases
at all, blooms nearly constantly and is a tight compact
bush."
I don't know if the rugosas are routinely available grafted
on any rootstock, but after seeing photos of them in Suzy
Verners book I think I'll start looking.

I bought some hybrid rugosas last year on closeout from
Wayside Gardens. They are grafted, presumably onto
Dr. Huey. The rootstock on the Blanc Double de Coubert
(bush still in a pot until a few days ago) sent up a big
sucker when the warm weather hit and the rugosa leaves
started to show: impatient, I guess.

My experience from a couple hybrid rugosas on Dr. Huey
is that they do okay except in the worst heat here, and I'm
in north Florida in zone 8b. They sulked a bit in the
hottest and wettest parts of the summer here, and had some
black spot problems (presumably a purebred rugosa would
not have those, or would it?).

I wonder how an own-root rugosa would do here with a nice
heavy mulch, if Dr. Manners is right.

I looked at a book on the rack at Lowe's -- might have been
put out by J&P, or maybe by the Southern Living people,
about roses in the South, and it claimed that Dr. Huey is not
a bad rootstock for nematode-infested soils. Huh? (Of course,
J&P would probably write that sort of thing to defend their
use of Dr. Huey.)

Mark.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Unique Too

I looked at the sites that offer roses on fortuniana and didn't find any
rugoses. I think I may email Ken Muncy and ask if he can/will graft one for
me.
Interesting to hear your experience with some of them. I'd like to try a
couple but to be fair I'm not sure Wayside is the best place to get them for a
test run. Not really knocking them, but they aren't know for the quality of
their plants. If I'm testing I'd like to start with a rose from a good vender,
so I'd know if it was the variety or the source.
I had considered ownroot, heavy mulch and shaded feet, but again not sure
that's a fair test of Dr. Manners statement. If I can't find one on
fortuniana, maybe I'll try it that way.

Several sources claim Dr. Huey isn't a bad rootstock for us, in fact most say
it is second best. But when the first choice lasts 20 years and number two is
only good for about 5 there's a big difference. Some of the own roots are
reported to never take off at all. Nematodes don't seem to be that big of a
problem in my area or at least my soil. But then I don't have the typical sand
of most of Florida. Several own roots are at the four year mark and still
going strong. A couple on multiflora are three and show no signs of declining.
Of course none of them are modern roses and none of them have hit the five
year mark yet either.

Old 08-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Shiva

Unique Too wrote:

Shiva, I just read an article by Malcom Manners titled "Ultimate Easy Roses."
He lists eight favorites "with cast-iron constitutions that they are truly
carefree in our climate." I was very surprised to see R. rugosa rubra listed.
The article says it is the roots, not the tops that resent the heat. "Grafted
on Fortuniana.....it gets no diseases at all, blooms nearly constantly and is a
tight compact bush."
I don't know if the rugosas are routinely available grafted on any rootstock,
but after seeing photos of them in Suzy Verners book I think I'll start
looking.

Very good, useful information, thank you, Julie.
I will look for Hansa on fortuniana. Even though
I am not attracted to once-bloomers, r. rugosa rubra is attractive
to me because of its hips. Do you grow it?

Old 09-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Unique Too

Good luck finding any of the rugosas on Fortuniana. If you do, be sure to let
me know where they can be found. I emailed Dr. Manners and he doesn't know of
a source. His suggestion was to learn to graft. I've tried a few times,
always without success. But being able to grow one of these might make it
worth the effert to keep trying.
I don't want any once bloomers either, too little bang for the buck in our
climate. But I understand some of the hybrid rugosas, including rugosa Rubra,
bloom thoughout the season. I want one because of the unique foliage. So
different from any other roses I grow.