Old 28-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Michel Place

Default req: help identify this rose (?)

Hello,

My wife and I recently purchased a plant from one of the many
flower/plant shops and stalls in Mongkok, Hong Kong. The seller
provided care instructions on watering (in bright light, water 1x daily
and in low light water 3x weekly), told us that it would not need to be
repotted anytime soon, and told us that it was a rose.

I'm curious to know what variety specifically it might be, if indeed it
is a rose. We spent some time in the local large public library
browsing books on roses and looking at photos - we thought that r.
glaucus might be a match, but maybe not.

The stem is pale whitish green and woody. Branches terminate in clusters
of green leaves (usually 4-5 leaves per cluster) and some also have
blossoms. Blossoms have 5 petals, pale pink darkening to red at the
ends. Inside the blossom is yellowish.

I've posted a photo of the plant online (if this matters, the stem
appears much darker in the photo than in reality):
http://monokromatik.com/veethree/flo...rch04/rose.jpg

Thanks for your help !

Old 28-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Mike

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Michel Place wrote:
[...]

That's not a rose, sorry. Roses do not have trumpet shaped flowers or canes
like those pictured in the photograph.

Mike

Old 28-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Rosarosam

Default help identify this rose (?)

It could be a plumeria rubra.
a.k.a.
Red Frangipani or Jasmine Mango or Temple Tree.

Jocelen.
www.rosarosam.com

Old 29-03-2004, 09:14 AM
Michel Place

Mike wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tip off.

Old 29-03-2004, 09:32 AM
Michel Place

Rosarosam wrote:

[...]

I think you've hit it. Searching for frangipani images on Google, I
found a dead ringer for the plant that I've got here and am now reading
up on frangipani care.

Thanks a million !

Old 29-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Unique Too

My guess is a Ademium Obesum, better known here in the states as a Desert Rose.
The best photos I've found online are on eBay.
Plumeria is known for its very strong fragrance and it will have very large,
long (12-18") leaves. In mild climates Plumeria will grow into small to medium
trees, maybe up to 25' or so. It will freeze in cold areas and must be
protected in a greenhouse or such. The Desert Rose has much smaller leaves,
less than 6" and with age a bulbous base.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Michel Place

Unique Too wrote:
[...]

Thank you !

I couldn't judge the length of the leaves of Plumeria from photos that
I'd found online and couldn't discern any aroma from the single open
blossom as I'm in the throes of a rather bad headcold. My apologies to
the group and Rosarosam in particular for not providing leaf dimensions
and other info in my original post that probably would have made an id
easier. I have a feeling that you're probably correct in suggesting
that I may have a "Desert Rose".

My wife confirmed this morning that there's no fragrance from the
flower, the leaves are quite small, and it looks much more similar to
photos of desert rose that I've been able to find online than to
Plumeria images (I had ascribed the differences in appearance to there
likely being many varieties of Plumeria and was satisfied when I found
one image that resembled my plant).

Lastly, my plant being "Desert Rose" would explain why the clerk at the
shop told my wife that it was a rose.

Thanks again !

Help Req'd Delboy1616 Gardening 4 19-09-2012 09:51 AM
New garden - help req mike. buckley United Kingdom 16 20-07-2009 10:48 PM
Help info req TR United Kingdom 15 15-12-2005 08:20 PM
First aid help req! The heads fallen off our Marguerite tree [email protected] United Kingdom 0 14-04-2003 08:44 PM
gardenia help req ÑòDd¥ Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM