Old 05-02-2003, 04:05 AM
Robert S. Martin

Default Black Red Rose problem

Hello,

I have several burgandy velvet rose plants in my rose beds which have a
peculiar problem.

They produce a dozen roses in one go. But they have only a few green
leaves - sometimes about 5 to 10 leaves or less on a plant which is already
50cm tall. They are not young plants and I have had them in my garden for
over 5 summers.

They get full sun 12+ hours a day.

I fertilize them and they get regular watering.

What is the problem?

Cheers!!

Old 05-02-2003, 06:16 PM
Shiva

Robert S. Martin wrote:

Hello,

I have several burgandy velvet rose plants in my rose beds which have a
peculiar problem.

They produce a dozen roses in one go. But they have only a few green
leaves

Hi Bob. Is it possible that a fungal disease such as black spot is
defoliating your roses? Dead give-away: there will be leaves on the
ground. Let us know. And also, what is a "burgundy velvet" rose? Sounds
pretty.

Old 05-02-2003, 11:48 PM
Robert S. Martin

Hello,

I don't think it is black spot. The silly plant simply doesn't produce
enough leaves. Maybe I need to add more fertilizer?

As for the name I don't know for certain. The rose has the classical
diamond? shape? like Christian Dior, Ink Spot, Lincoln, Blackboye etc..

The roses have a dark red color with highlights of black tinge.

The petals are like velvet.

And the scent is very faint.

Old 06-02-2003, 09:54 PM
Theo Asir

two things I can think of.

First the rose may just be loosing its vigor.
Some grafted roses tend to get gnarly as
the years go by and less active.

this is a common problem
with the "Peace" roses available now.
(Among others)

Second the roses need to be pruned.
Roses occasionally benefit from a thorough
pruning to 3-6" stalks. This gets rid of
old woody growth and forces them to
put out new canes that tend to have a lot more vigor.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 07-02-2003, 05:53 AM
Robert S. Martin

"Theo Asir" wrote in message

this is a common problem
with the "Peace" roses available now.
(Among others)

That's whats happening with my Peace rose at the moment. I get foliage but
the plant seems weaker than it was several years ago.

But as for the black roses I have - they have always had the problem of "low
leaf count but high flower ratio".

Old 07-02-2003, 06:21 PM
Shiva

Robert S. Martin wrote:

But as for the black roses I have - they have always had the problem

of "low
leaf count but high flower ratio".

You know--I like blooms better than leaves, but I can see how you might
want both. G I don't know where you are, but if you go to the web site
for Beatty Fertilizer (I hope that's how it is spelled) you will see a
product called Mill's Magic Mix. This stuff produces big fat basal shoots
within two weeks of application that are sure to produce leaves. It has
lots of alfalfa, which some say is responsible for the basals. But it has
other stuff too. It is a coarse dry mix--you sprinkle two or three cups
around the bush under the mulch, then water in and watch out! I love this
stuff.

Old 09-02-2003, 06:27 PM
R & L Porter

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.02fb55a6721ac41a2c1b612806c7d82c @1044638460.cotse.net...
Robert S. Martin wrote:

But as for the black roses I have - they have always had the problem

of "low
leaf count but high flower ratio".

You know--I like blooms better than leaves, but I can see how you might
want both. G I don't know where you are, but if you go to the web site
for Beatty Fertilizer (I hope that's how it is spelled) you will see a
product called Mill's Magic Mix. This stuff produces big fat basal shoots
within two weeks of application that are sure to produce leaves. It has
lots of alfalfa, which some say is responsible for the basals. But it has
other stuff too. It is a coarse dry mix--you sprinkle two or three cups
around the bush under the mulch, then water in and watch out! I love this
stuff.

You know, if I didn't know better I would swear you were a paid
representative of Mill's Magic Mix. You are their NUMBER ONE
Fan. (kinda reminds me of Stephen King and Misery)

; 0

Laura

Old 10-02-2003, 01:25 AM
Shiva

R & L Porter wrote:
You know, if I didn't know better I would swear you were a paid
representative of Mill's Magic Mix. You are their NUMBER ONE
Fan.

Ever see a one cane wonder that has languished for two seasons sprout
three fat basals and end up the season with four good canes?