Old 29-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Ted Shoemaker

Default newbie question -- how and when to plant?

Hello,

What time of year is advised for planting a rose bush in zone 4 or 5?
(Southern Wisconsin)

Also, we have a lot of clay in the soil and a lot of oak trees (shade
+ tannins). That sort of makes it tough. Any advice before we start
buying plants and digging holes?

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker
Old 01-04-2004, 05:15 PM
Theo

Since no one else has jumped in..

After the last frost is always to advice.

But you can give your roses a head start
by planting 2-3 weeks before that date.

In my experience spring in the midwest only lasts 6-8 weeks
after which the merciless heat begins which is
infinitely worse for your newly planted rose. A light
frost or 2 won't do much damage. So I'd say try
to plant so your rose gets a 8-10 week head start
on above 80 F weather.

Oak trees and roses are a bad combination for
another vital reason. Roses need to be heavily
watered and mulched. Oak trees hate this and
these conditions favor the oak tree fungus which also
kills roses.

Just to get the terminology right you will be digging craters :-)

--
Theo

in KC Z5

om...