Old 05-02-2003, 08:24 PM
JimS.

Default Is it too soon to fertilize?

I'm in Seattle. Our nighttime lows aren't generally getting any less than
about 40, and daytime highs around 50. All my established roses are
starting to sprout bud eyes. Is it too soon to fertilize yet? I know I
don't want to fertilize the ones I just planted, but what about the ones
that have been in? Some of them didn't even really go dormant all winter?

thanks

JimS.
Seattle, Z8

Old 05-02-2003, 08:58 PM
dave weil

On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 19:24:25 GMT, "JimS."
wrote:

I'm in Seattle. Our nighttime lows aren't generally getting any less than
about 40, and daytime highs around 50. All my established roses are
starting to sprout bud eyes. Is it too soon to fertilize yet? I know I
don't want to fertilize the ones I just planted, but what about the ones
that have been in? Some of them didn't even really go dormant all winter?

thanks

JimS.
Seattle, Z8

I'm just guessing here, but I'd think that you're pretty close to time
to start your regime. The main thing I would ask is when is your last
frost date? I'm guessing that it's sometime in early March maybe?

The last frost is when I do my pruning and fertilizing. For me, that's
around the 10th of April.

Old 06-02-2003, 12:35 AM
Bob Bauer

wrote:

I'm in Seattle. Our nighttime lows aren't generally getting any less than
about 40, and daytime highs around 50. All my established roses are
starting to sprout bud eyes. Is it too soon to fertilize yet? I know I
don't want to fertilize the ones I just planted, but what about the ones
that have been in? Some of them didn't even really go dormant all winter?

Hi Jim,

Yes it is too early to fertilize in Seattle. You have a lot of cold
gray days ahead, don't you? I have a gardener friend who lives in
Wallingford who doesn't start anything until March at the earliest.

In general you can start fertilizing when your leaves have popped out
and opened up, AND there is no more danger of frost.

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Old 06-02-2003, 01:24 AM
JimS.

wrote:

I'm in Seattle. Our nighttime lows aren't generally getting any less

than
about 40, and daytime highs around 50. All my established roses are
starting to sprout bud eyes. Is it too soon to fertilize yet? I know I
don't want to fertilize the ones I just planted, but what about the ones
that have been in? Some of them didn't even really go dormant all

winter?

Hi Jim,

Yes it is too early to fertilize in Seattle. You have a lot of cold
gray days ahead, don't you?

Well, YEAH, but that lasts till MAY!....I can't wait THAT long!

I have a gardener friend who lives in Wallingford who doesn't start

anything until March at the earliest.
In general you can start fertilizing when your leaves have popped out
and opened up, AND there is no more danger of frost.

We've had about ONE frost all winter. I think the danger of that is
essentially past. It doesn't really get that cold here, believe it or not,
just wet. But the leaves aren't out yet. So if I need to wait till the
leaves are all out, it'll be a couple more weeks, I guess.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 08-02-2003, 09:25 PM
steve stidham

Jim, I live a few miles north of you and I remember around 15 years ago we
got a late March Arctic blast that was a killer. Malmo Nursery had a big
sale after the freeze and the lines were 20 people in each line buying
replacement roses.
It can still get nasty. I share your impatience.