Old 06-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Theo

Default New member

It must be wonderful to work @ home. Sigh!
Do you intend to plant many more roses?

Heres a wonderful site by a guy who grows roses in Minnesota
http://homepage.mac.com/passepartoot/home/rosepage.htm

You can see we have a similar philosophy though he
does winter protect a bit. I'm too lazy to do even that.

Yes spring is wonderful. There is usually a
contest to see which rose buds and flowers first.

But it is also when my Cyclamen stop blooming
so that is sad.

The coldest I've recorded here is -15F. Though the record
is -20 F. So I will only recommend the bullet proof ones
that grow for me.

Absolutely cold hardy.

Lavender Lassie - pinkish
Compassion - Salmon
Guinevere - White
Apple jack - Pink (Buck rose)
Pearlie Mae - yellowish (buck rose)
Winter sunset - yellow (buck rose)
J.P.Connell - Yellow (Canadian tough rose)
Alba meidiland - white Bulldozer tough ground cover
New Dawn - pink (probably most popular rose in world)
Candelabra - Orange disease prone but really cold tough for a hybrid tea.
Alexander Mackenzie - Red Canadian. can't seem to get rebloom.

Some cold death but comes back strong.

Iceberg - Popular white.
B. Pink Iceberg - Pink sport really pretty.
Frontenac - Tough tough canadian red. excellent rebloom.

Just some that pop into mind.

--
Theo

in Kansas City Z5/Z6?

I would love some recommendations. I would say I am zone 3/4. I know we

can
get 30 below but not very often. You say that you do not provide any
winter protection for your roses? I also will follow your suggestion and
get some of the wood chips from the compost center at the same time I get

load of compost. Thanks for all the help. It is nice when a newbie can

get
some good answers and not feel dumb. I have always had to work out of the
home so gardening became something I did not get into. Now I work at home
and so I am more in tune with my yard and love to see the flowers start to
come up in the spring. Roses have always beens something I have wanted to

Old 06-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Charles Perry

... I would love some recommendations. I would say I am zone 3/4...

I suggest that you take a look at the on-line catalogue of Spring
Valley Roses. They are very clear about the degree of hardiness
for the roses that they sell. I have found their descriptions
match my experience. The catalog from Sam Kedum Roses lists a
larger variety of hardy roses, but the descriptions are not as
consistant and clear. However, you can go to Sam's nursery near
Hastings and see his test and display garden.
you can see for yourself how the plants fare unprotected in an
exposed location.

It is worth the trip to the Minnesota Aboreteum just West of
Minneapolis to see the landscape roses that are grown
unprotected. I always leave there wishing I had a farm and a
backhoe to dig planting holes.

Regards,

Charles

Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **

Old 06-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Anne Lurie

Theo, I believe lucerne hay is alfafa. (I also think it may have been used
for burlap bags back in the old days before plastic became common.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Theo" wrote

[snipped]

Mulch. Ah yes! reams have been written on this subject and
there doesn't seem to be any consensus. Everything from wood chips
to straw to peanut shells to cocoa shells to stone chips to char coal
to Lucerne Hay(don't ask me what that is!!) has been promoted here.
I'm sure they all work.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Sharon Capps

Theo wrote:
It must be wonderful to work @ home. Sigh!
Do you intend to plant many more roses?

It is nice to be at home but I do day care so it is not all that relaxing.

This will be the first summer that I have no infants so will be able to be
out more. At 61 I didn't think I would be raising other peoples children.
I sure do hope it is only for a few more years. I do intend to plant
more roses. When I no longer have day care I will have the perfect spot
for them. It is under the play area and gets the sun in the morning from
the time it comes up till about 3 in the afternoon when it really gets hot.
I think roses will do real good there. I will put in a few more each
year until then. My rosmania seems to strike first thing in the spring and
now that I have ordered, I will wait till next year before I chose more.
Sharon in MN

Old 06-04-2004, 08:18 PM
ben boorman

Kaleidoscope is not a rugosa, it is a shrub unless you have the mini
which is more aligned with the floribunda family.

Try the link below for more info on various roses.

ben

http://www.helpmefind.com

Sharon Capps wrote:
I bought Therese Bugnet, F. J. Grootendoorst,
Topaz Jewel and Kaleidoscope which are Rugosas and I also bought
Stanwell Perpetual. I bought two climbing rose, Henry Kelsey and
William Baffin. I understand that they are all easy to grow. Is this
the truth or just a marketing ploy? I also read that Rugosas do not
like to be sprayed with insecticides or liquid fertilizer. Can a person
put a liquid mixed fertilizer around the base after watering or should
you water it in? Thanks for any help and I sure do love this group. I
have been reading for about a month now.
Sharon in MN

[IBC] Morning, New Member Barb Bonsai 1 12-08-2003 04:42 PM
New member--intro Kelly Upton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 17-04-2003 11:20 PM
New Member Starlord Gardening 0 11-02-2003 04:25 AM
[IBC] New member - Question on junipers Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 08:25 PM
New member - Question on junipers Allen Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 07:25 PM