Old 01-04-2004, 08:36 PM
Darren Garrison

Default So weak-- so very weak.

Walked into a small discount clothing store today and found, strangly enough, more than one tableful
of abused-looking miniature roses. Only 25 cents each for ones in 2 3/8 inch pots. I couldn't
resist buying 12 of them-- at that price if they die, it's no big loss. Also picked up one in a 5
inch pot for $1.00. When I got them home, though, I found that the 5 inch pot one was acutually 5
"tall" roses in one pot (possibly a climbing variety?) and even the 2 3/8 inch ones were 3 tiny
plants per pot.

The soil was moist, so they hadn't been dried out. Maybe they hadn't been getting sunlight? Any
tips on TLC to give these to keep a few alive?

Picture at

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/cheaproses.jpg

Old 01-04-2004, 09:42 PM
saki

Darren Garrison wrote in
:

Walked into a small discount clothing store today and found, strangly
enough, more than one tableful of abused-looking miniature roses.
Only 25 cents each for ones in 2 3/8 inch pots. I couldn't resist
buying 12 of them-- at that price if they die, it's no big loss. Also
picked up one in a 5 inch pot for $1.00. When I got them home,
though, I found that the 5 inch pot one was acutually 5 "tall" roses
in one pot (possibly a climbing variety?) and even the 2 3/8 inch ones
were 3 tiny plants per pot.

The soil was moist, so they hadn't been dried out. Maybe they hadn't
been getting sunlight? Any tips on TLC to give these to keep a few
alive?

First thing I'd do would be to pot each and every one of them upwards to
the next size pot, if you have any around (one gallon pots would do).

This means separating twiglets that have been jammed multiply into one pot,
which you can do carefully by hand (try to keep each separate root ball
intact as much as possible).

Use a reasonable quality potting soil for repotting; trim off all visible
flower buds and flowers and don't let them bloom till they're recovering.

Are you in a part of the world where they can be housed outside at this
time of year? If so, that would be a good move as well. Don't feed until
you see new growth emerging.

----

Old 02-04-2004, 12:19 AM
Theo

Before you know it those little babies will be hulking
bushes that push you around :-

I'd go with Saki's advice and add a couple.

Trim all the buds. I know its heart breaking.
But flowering consumes enormous amounts
of energy and the silly things can flower themselves
to death.

Also quarantine them from your other plants for atleast
a month so you don't spread any diseases.

Decide fairly quickly if you want to plant them out side.
In my Midwest climate planting is usually over by mid
May as it is too hot after.

--
Theo

in Kansas City Z5/Z6?

"saki" wrote in message
Darren Garrison wrote in
:

Old 02-04-2004, 12:19 AM
Theo

Before you know it those little babies will be hulking
bushes that push you around :-

I'd go with Saki's advice and add a couple.

Trim all the buds. I know its heart breaking.
But flowering consumes enormous amounts
of energy and the silly things can flower themselves
to death.

Also quarantine them from your other plants for atleast
a month so you don't spread any diseases.

Decide fairly quickly if you want to plant them out side.
In my Midwest climate planting is usually over by mid
May as it is too hot after.

--
Theo

in Kansas City Z5/Z6?

"saki" wrote in message
Darren Garrison wrote in
:

Old 02-04-2004, 12:19 AM
Daniel Hanna

In Darren Garrison wrote:
The soil was moist, so they hadn't been dried out. Maybe they hadn't
been getting sunlight? Any tips on TLC to give these to keep a few
alive?

They look sun starved to me too. Get them outside and feed them seaweed
emulsion weekly if you can find it.

I wouldn't repot till they are stronger.