GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Combining Roses with climbing vines (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/579-combining-roses-climbing-vines.html)

Huskies4all 07-02-2003 11:37 PM

Combining Roses with climbing vines

I have two red climbing roses next to each other on trellises. I didn't
mean to, one was a "mystery rose." :-) I thought I'd try planting some
sort of climbing vine between them to get a neat color combination. Has
anyone tried this? I think it would work very well with a white
flowered vine of some sort, but I certainly don't want to kill my roses.
Does anyone know if there would be a danger of harming my roses?

CJ

Bob Bauer 08-02-2003 08:25 PM

Huskies4all wrote:

I have two red climbing roses next to each other on trellises. I didn't
mean to, one was a "mystery rose." :-) I thought I'd try planting some
sort of climbing vine between them to get a neat color combination. Has
anyone tried this?

Yes.

I think it would work very well with a white
flowered vine of some sort, but I certainly don't want to kill my roses.
Does anyone know if there would be a danger of harming my roses?

CJ

Clematis is the answer CJ. Roses and Clematis work well together.

The Clematis needs a structure to grow on and the rose vines work
well. Clematis doesn't put out too much foliage and block all the
light for the rose leaves, so it makes a great companion.

There are many many varieties of white Clematis. Look for one that
repeat blooms or has a long blooming period. Those will be the newer
varieties. Don't be discouraged if it takes a couple of years to get
going, because it does, but eventually it will look great.

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com/

R & L Porter 09-02-2003 05:27 PM

"Bob Bauer" wrote in message
flowered vine of some sort, but I certainly don't want to kill my roses.
Does anyone know if there would be a danger of harming my roses?

CJ

Clematis is the answer CJ. Roses and Clematis work well together.

The Clematis needs a structure to grow on and the rose vines work
well. Clematis doesn't put out too much foliage and block all the
light for the rose leaves, so it makes a great companion.

CJ, I second Bob's opinion. I have at least seven clematis growing near
or on roses. They have not harmed the roses in the least. In fact,
a clematis growing up a once blooming Old garden rose will give
it a few extra weeks of colour. The white clematis that I have is
called Henyri -- big, beautiful white flowers, but it still hasn't given
me a lot of them yet. I am hoping this (3rd yr) will be the year!

Laura

Huskies4all 10-02-2003 03:55 PM

Combining Roses with climbing vines

In article ,
says...
Huskies4all wrote:
I think it would work very well with a white
flowered vine of some sort, but I certainly don't want to kill my roses.
Does anyone know if there would be a danger of harming my roses?

Clematis is the answer CJ. Roses and Clematis work well together.

Thanks, Bob! I'll check out the local nurseries. I only remember them
selling the purple clematis, but then, I wasn't looking for white. I'm
going to go ahead and do this now that I know the roses aren't going to
be harmed.

And if it works in SLC, it should work here. I live near Twin Falls,
Idaho.

CJ

Huskies4all 10-02-2003 03:55 PM

"Bob Bauer" wrote in message
flowered vine of some sort, but I certainly don't want to kill my roses.
Does anyone know if there would be a danger of harming my roses?

CJ

Clematis is the answer CJ. Roses and Clematis work well together.

CJ, I second Bob's opinion. I have at least seven clematis growing near
or on roses.

Laura, thanks! I can't wait to try it. I'll be scouring the local
nurseries this spring. As soon as I can plant one, it's going to
happen!

CJ

Gail Futoran 11-02-2003 03:25 PM

Combining Roses with climbing vines

Ok, you all have convinced me! I've been
wanting to plant clematis for a few years
but didn't have the energy for putting in beds
other than roses or building more arbors.
I just bought two clematis vines and I'll plant
them in the beds with two climbing roses, a
Lavender Lassie and a Don Juan, on 2
separate arbors.

I love it when you guys spend my money. :)

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8

slackjeep 14-02-2003 10:51 PM

Huskies4all wrote in message om...
I have two red climbing roses next to each other on trellises. I didn't
mean to, one was a "mystery rose." :-) I thought I'd try planting some
sort of climbing vine between them to get a neat color combination. Has
anyone tried this? I think it would work very well with a white
flowered vine of some sort, but I certainly don't want to kill my roses.
Does anyone know if there would be a danger of harming my roses?

CJ

I have a similar question but I would like to combine a Joseph's Coat
climbing rose with a red trumpet vine on the same post of my pergola.
I figure the red trumpet would grow quicker and cover the top of the
pergola where the rose would stay more on the actual post and in
front. The colors are similar.

I can picture this beautiful spectical in my mind but fantasy and
reality may not always be the same.

Anyone have any experience with this combination? I'm in zone 10 if
that helps.

Thanks
Dorys

Radika Kesavan 14-02-2003 10:51 PM

slackjeep wrote:

I have a similar question but I would like to combine a Joseph's Coat
climbing rose with a red trumpet vine on the same post of my pergola.
I figure the red trumpet would grow quicker and cover the top of the
pergola where the rose would stay more on the actual post and in
front. The colors are similar.

I can picture this beautiful spectical in my mind but fantasy and
reality may not always be the same.

Anyone have any experience with this combination? I'm in zone 10 if
that helps.

Dorys,

Trumpet Vine grows really fast here in Zone 9. If this were my Joseph's
Coat, I would worry about the trumpet vine outstripping and choking the
rose by not letting the rose get enough access to sunlight, etc.

I have a combination of a Bougainvillea and a climbing Red Wand rose
growing together, and they are identical in colour. Neither seems to be
smothering the other, at least in my climate, and I must say I am very
pleased with the effect. I am not sure if in your climate they will
behave well together or not, but they do here.

--
Radika
California

Cass 15-02-2003 02:03 AM

Combining Roses with climbing vines

In article , slackjeep
wrote:

I have a similar question but I would like to combine a Joseph's Coat
climbing rose with a red trumpet vine on the same post of my pergola.
I figure the red trumpet would grow quicker and cover the top of the
pergola where the rose would stay more on the actual post and in
front. The colors are similar.

Neat combination. Double check whether the scarlet trumpet vine clings
with tentacles. That would be a limiting factor. Although clematis
cling, they are not voracious or heavy like a trumpet vine.

slackjeep 18-02-2003 07:15 PM

Combining Roses with climbing vines

Cass wrote in message . ..
In article , slackjeep
wrote:

I have a similar question but I would like to combine a Joseph's Coat
climbing rose with a red trumpet vine on the same post of my pergola.
I figure the red trumpet would grow quicker and cover the top of the
pergola where the rose would stay more on the actual post and in
front. The colors are similar.

Neat combination. Double check whether the scarlet trumpet vine clings
with tentacles. That would be a limiting factor. Although clematis
cling, they are not voracious or heavy like a trumpet vine.

Sorry about my naivete' but i'm quite green (no pun) when it comes to
gardening. Are tenacles similar to how Passion vines cling? If so, I
don't believe the trumpets cling with tenacles but I will double
check.

What I like about the trumpets is that they tend to become quite
barren at the bottom once they are very well established. Most people
don't like this because who wants brown woody branches at eye level.
But this is what makes me think it would be a great combination with a
climbing rose. The woody branches will give the roses something to
cling too.

The trumpets I've seen in my area tend to be less evasive than the
bougenvillas or morning glories. We made the mistake of adding
Morning Glories to our front fence. Now everyone in our neighborhood
has them!!

Thanks for your help.
Dorys