Old 16-04-2004, 04:32 AM
cpemberton

Default Deer repellent

How can I keep deer away from my roses? As soon as they put out new
shoots, they are nipped off by the deer.

Old 16-04-2004, 04:32 AM
Snooze

"cpemberton" wrote in message
. ..
How can I keep deer away from my roses? As soon as they put out new
shoots, they are nipped off by the deer.

Try spreading blood meal around the area they like to feed. Dog pee works
for a bit, but not too long.

Sameer

Old 16-04-2004, 05:03 AM
Mark. Gooley

"cpemberton" wrote :
How can I keep deer away from my roses? As soon as they
put out new shoots, they are nipped off by the deer.

A good high fence is the best way.

A spray containing garlic, hot pepper, and raw eggs seems to
work for me. The eggs are supposedly the worst part of the
smell for the deer, and the hot pepper is sort of a last defense
to make the roses unpalatable. Need to respray every so often:
after a good rain, or maybe once a week or so otherwise.

This is based on recipes I've seen here and elsewhere online.
I've upped the strength by adding more and more and more of
the ingredients, and adding alcohol, until it's something like this:

Mix a pint of denatured alcohol with 2 to 4 ounces of the hottest
cayenne pepper powder you can find (some health food stores
stock it in bulk). Let the solids settle and use the clear reddish
liquid: that contains most of the capsaicin.

Grind up 4 or more ounces of garlic (fresh cloves, or that ready-
minced stuff in jars) in a quart or so of water in the blender. Put
result through a fine mesh to catch the solids. I use a really fine
strainer; I suppose that a coffee filter might work, but maybe not.

Combine these two, add 4 to 6 raw eggs, process in blender or
beat thoroughly until eggs are completely combined. Dilute to
2 gallons in your sprayer. Spray generously over leaves, esp.
tender new shoots.

I have not found a hot sauce that can match the concentration of
capsaicin that I get by extracting with alcohol. Isopropyl rubbing
alcohol doesn't seem to work as well as denatured hardware-store
stuff. Be sure to dilute and mix this concotion with water before
any moving parts of the sprayer get in contact with it: I'm not sure
what the denatured alcohol, not much diluted, might do to them.

You MUST filter out the solids carefully or you'll jam most
sprayers. This mix seems to work for me...you can up the eggs,
I suppose, and that might make it stick longer and better to the
rose leaves.

Many commercial products depend on whole-egg solids, by
the way.

Mark., good luck

Old 17-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Rez

In article , "Mark. Gooley" wrote:

"cpemberton" wrote :
How can I keep deer away from my roses? As soon as they
put out new shoots, they are nipped off by the deer.

A good high fence is the best way.

We have the same problem, except it's the Starving Attack Rabbits.
They drag down any limbs with flowers, demolish them, then to add
insult to injury, don't even eat what they've destroyed. I think
they're attracted to the scent (the roses that came with my place are
fairly strong-scented). Had to surround each bush with a fence.

(How they even manage it escapes me -- one of those roses shoulda been
named "Razor Blades" -- I've sustained some serious cuts from it)

A spray containing garlic, hot pepper, and raw eggs seems to
work for me. The eggs are supposedly the worst part of the
smell for the deer, and the hot pepper is sort of a last defense
to make the roses unpalatable. Need to respray every so often:
after a good rain, or maybe once a week or so otherwise.

I've been told that a solution of cayenne and dish soap also works.
Bonus being dish soap kills aphids and similar nasties.

Used cat litter can work temporarily, but it doesn't last either.

~REZ~

Old 17-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Sharon Capps

We have the same problem, except it's the Starving Attack Rabbits.
They drag down any limbs with flowers, demolish them, then to add
insult to injury, don't even eat what they've destroyed.

My problem is with the squirrels. They methodicaly pop all the beautiful
buds and leave them on the ground. There is no way to keep them out as
they just climb right on in there. They also pop flowers off the other
plants also.
Sharon in mn

Old 17-04-2004, 08:43 PM
ed

A big old rottweiler seems to help with all the critters....mine doesn't
bother the roses, he has been "thorn" trained, and he does his business in
just the right way, spraying his territory on a regular basis, which happens
to encompass the roses...talk about a dog/person relationship, it is a
dog/person/rose deal here with everyone coming out the winner....

Old 18-04-2004, 07:08 AM
Rez

In article , Sharon Capps wrote:

We have the same problem, except it's the Starving Attack Rabbits.
They drag down any limbs with flowers, demolish them, then to add
insult to injury, don't even eat what they've destroyed.

My problem is with the squirrels. They methodicaly pop all the beautiful
buds and leave them on the ground. There is no way to keep them out as
they just climb right on in there. They also pop flowers off the other
plants also.

Fortunately, the evil pocket gophers don't seem to have discovered
doing that, tho I think below-ground chewing might have contributed to
the death of one bush. My appreciation for certain wildlife is no
longer all it could be :/

A complete hardware cloth cover would probably keep your nasty
squirrels out, tho it might kinda look like overkill.

~REZ~