GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   coffee grounds from cold press coffee (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/59484-coffee-grounds-cold-press-coffee.html)

user 20-04-2004 05:04 PM

coffee grounds from cold press coffee

folks,

i have a new house, about 20 rose bushes, a few rhodies, and a
hydrangea.

i have found many references to using coffee grounds as a natural
fertilizer for roses, hydrangeas, and the rhodie.

however, i make cold press coffee. this involves putting roughly 1
pound of coarsely ground coffee into a special container, filling with
cold water overnight, and draining.

thus about once every month and a half, about perfect timing as far as
i can tell from web research, i have a pound of coffee grounds, BUT
these are not what would come out of a percolator or even a drip
maker. they've not been exposed to hot water, only cold soaked
overnight.

thoughts and advice appreciated.

Rez 23-04-2004 09:02 AM

coffee grounds from cold press coffee

In article , (user) wrote:
folks,
i have found many references to using coffee grounds as a natural
fertilizer for roses, hydrangeas, and the rhodie.

I haven't heard of coffee grounds as fertilizer in about 35 years :)
But back-when, as I recall the idea was that coffee grounds attract
earthworms more than do most compostable materials, and earthworms are
helpful to soil conditioning.

~REZ~

Anne Lurie 26-04-2004 07:03 PM

coffee grounds from cold press coffee

I put used coffee grounds in my compost pile, filter and all. BTW, I think
the grounds are acidic, but I don't know whether roses like that (as opposed
to azaleas & rhodendron).

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

m...

JimS. 28-04-2004 02:07 AM

coffee grounds from cold press coffee

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
. com...
I put used coffee grounds in my compost pile, filter and all. BTW, I

think
the grounds are acidic, but I don't know whether roses like that (as

opposed
to azaleas & rhodendron).

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Yes, roses do like acidic. They like tea leaves too.

JimS.
Seattle

Sherman 01-05-2004 04:03 PM

coffee grounds from cold press coffee

"JimS." wrote in message

. com...

"user" wrote in message
m...
folks,

i have a new house, about 20 rose bushes, a few rhodies, and a
hydrangea.

i have found many references to using coffee grounds as a natural
fertilizer for roses, hydrangeas, and the rhodie.

however, i make cold press coffee. this involves putting roughly 1
pound of coarsely ground coffee into a special container, filling with
cold water overnight, and draining.

thus about once every month and a half, about perfect timing as far as
i can tell from web research, i have a pound of coffee grounds, BUT
these are not what would come out of a percolator or even a drip
maker. they've not been exposed to hot water, only cold soaked
overnight.

thoughts and advice appreciated.

I put both coffee grounds and eggshells in my rosebeds. Because my Mother
did! And she grew beautiful roses...
Sherman.