Old 24-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Zemmy!!

Default Input Please

I have a space between the windows in my garage (on the outside of course)
that I would like to put a climbing, flowerig bush. Preferably a rose. I am
in zone 5 and the area gets sun until about 10:30am. I've read here that
roses like full sun. Can anyone give me thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Brian Z
Milwaukee, WI

Old 24-04-2004, 07:03 PM
dave weil

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:58:30 -0500, "Zemmy!!" wrote:

I have a space between the windows in my garage (on the outside of course)
that I would like to put a climbing, flowerig bush. Preferably a rose. I am
in zone 5 and the area gets sun until about 10:30am. I've read here that
roses like full sun. Can anyone give me thoughts or suggestions?

I'd probably skip the rose personally. Not enough sun in too north of
an environment.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to suggest a replacement. However, if
it's not too boring to you, maybe you might consider Japanese
Barberry, which would at least give you colored foliage.

http://groups.ucanr.org/mbmg/Al's_Corner/Japanese_Barberry.htm

I doubt that you're going to find too many zone 5 blooming plants that
only get sun until 10:30, especially climbers. Maybe you could do some
sort of taller holly that you could train into a climbing look. At
least you'd get red berries.

Old 25-04-2004, 12:04 AM
Sis

I'd like to add one thought- if you have a narrow walkway on that side of
the garage, consider that most roses and I believe the Barberry, have
thorns. So,depending on the amount of space you have,you might want to use
those choices. One possible choice is the Zephrine Droughin(sp) climbing
rose which has virtually no thorns and tolerates much less sunlight than
most other roses. Just a thought. Sandy

Old 25-04-2004, 12:04 AM
Sis

I meant might Not, in my prior post... sorry. Sandy

trying different fertilizer mix?Input please! keith ;-\) Orchids 2 28-02-2005 02:13 PM
Seek input on Leyland Cypress Lecher9000 Gardening 15 24-10-2004 11:43 AM
Veggie Filter Input ideas Bill Ponds 5 18-08-2003 06:50 AM
Lawn Striper...need some input Rick and Dana Siekmann Gardening 8 12-05-2003 09:20 PM
Thanks for the input folks. Mike Davis Edible Gardening 1 15-02-2003 04:03 PM