Old 29-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Shiva

Default First Blooms!

It's a tie between Rio Samba and Sombrueil!

Looked out of an upstairs window to see the first spot of
color in the back, ran down and there Rio Samba was!! Fragrant
and sunny, this rose has the perfect ht form and the perfect
petal substance-not too thick or thin.

Thought that was the only one but then I looked up to see
that Sombreuil's first blooms are 12 feet up in the hollies!
Gorgeous fragrant many-petaled saucer-shaped blooms.

Then, today: Pat Austin, Abraham Darby, Tradescant and
a single perfect Tiffany bloom. Yippeee!

Old 29-04-2004, 09:08 PM
dave weil

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:18:56 -0400 (EDT), "Shiva"
wrote:

It's a tie between Rio Samba and Sombrueil!

Looked out of an upstairs window to see the first spot of
color in the back, ran down and there Rio Samba was!! Fragrant
and sunny, this rose has the perfect ht form and the perfect
petal substance-not too thick or thin.

Thought that was the only one but then I looked up to see
that Sombreuil's first blooms are 12 feet up in the hollies!
Gorgeous fragrant many-petaled saucer-shaped blooms.

Then, today: Pat Austin, Abraham Darby, Tradescant and
a single perfect Tiffany bloom. Yippeee!

Congrats!

My Sombreuil has really started taking off. I've lost the first couple
of blooms but I now have 14 full blooms, about 10 partial blooms and
dozens and dozens of buds. This thing's going to be great in about a
week or two. The nice thing is that I get just about a good week from
the full blooms.

Mr. Lincoln is getting ready to unfurl two huge buds and I've got an
Ingrid Bergman about a week away from another single full bloom. The
first one was almost perfect in form and lasted a week in the vase.
Aloha is budding all over the place and I have a dozen full blooms.
Portland from Glendorra has about 6 clusters, each with a full bloom
and three or four side blooms (once the blooms get to this stage, I
only have a couple of days to enjoy them until they shatter). Felicia
is starting to bud out and Baby Love has dozens of little yellow
blooms (each which only lasts a day or two as well). The climbing
Fairy has hundreds of buds which will all break in a week or two in a
matter of days - IOW, they don't waste a lot of time once they get
full-sized buds. The climbing Cecile Brunner has started popping. It's
got about a 50 small blooms, but in time, it will have about 5 times
as many. My two Desert peaces have about 4 good sized buds, but the
plant is starting to look sort of stalky and I'm at a loss as to how
far back to prune next season. Old Blush (Cl) is right at its peak of
color. Totally covered with pink (which I know turns your stomach
chuckle.

I received my Mel Hulse from The Uncommon Rose and it has its first
bloom. Cute. I've got my first scattered blooms from Sweet Briar Rose.
My garden will really be hopping the second week of May.

Speaking of Baby Love, it's now only about 3 1/2 feet tall. When the
deluges came, it drooped quite a bit and I was going to prop up the
drooping part until I realized that it really made the bush fat and
round and it was going to start growing upward again. So I left it
alone. It's almost totally round right now. Looks cool.
Old 29-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Gail Futoran

My Chinas, Teas & Noisettes bloomed first.
Favorite among OGRs are two Village Maids
which I pegged down this year resulting in a
ton of blooms for the first time ever! Usually
I get a small handfull of blooms and that's it.
The Village Maids are my sole spring-only
bloomers so I treasure whatever blooms I get.

I'm loving this weather, relatively cool, rain
every week, cloudy days but enough sun.
Normally by this time of year temps will be
in the 90s or higher. The Panhandle is expecting
snow tonight! What a weird spring.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 30-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Kumar Varadan

I planted Mr Lincoln this year and already had 2 roses! This rose is
excellant. Also got lot of blooms
in Hot Cocoa/lavaglut/Gene borner/ etc. I planed Hot cocoa this year and I
like the unusual color.

I moved about 4 roses and all of them are doing good except Europeana. It is
not growing at all! Not even
new leaves. It is not dead either. It is just sitting there the same as when
I replanted it. Any ideas?

-Kumar (Austin, Texas)

Old 01-05-2004, 02:05 AM
JimS.

"Kumar Varadan" wrote in message

I moved about 4 roses and all of them are doing good except Europeana. It

is
not growing at all! Not even
new leaves. It is not dead either. It is just sitting there the same as

when
I replanted it. Any ideas?

-Kumar (Austin, Texas)

I have Europeana. It's a weird one, at least mine is. My first two years
with it, it was very sporadic. It would grow a bunch, then just sit there.
Last year it hardly grew, this year it's going gangbusters. I'd say, just
leave it alone. Mine did almost nothing but it didn't die either. Now it's
looking pretty good so far this year. When it does bloom, it's beautiful.

JimS.
Seattle, Zone8

Old 01-05-2004, 04:03 PM
dave weil

On Sat, 01 May 2004 00:52:50 GMT, "JimS."
wrote:

"Kumar Varadan" wrote in message

I moved about 4 roses and all of them are doing good except Europeana. It

is
not growing at all! Not even
new leaves. It is not dead either. It is just sitting there the same as

when
I replanted it. Any ideas?

-Kumar (Austin, Texas)

I have Europeana. It's a weird one, at least mine is. My first two years
with it, it was very sporadic. It would grow a bunch, then just sit there.
Last year it hardly grew, this year it's going gangbusters. I'd say, just
leave it alone. Mine did almost nothing but it didn't die either. Now it's
looking pretty good so far this year. When it does bloom, it's beautiful.

Mine had the nerve to get root gall.

The *******. Didn't make it past the first year. But it looked
mahhhvelous that first year.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:05 AM
Gail Futoran

"Kumar Varadan" wrote in message
I planted Mr Lincoln this year and already had 2 roses!

This rose is
excellant. Also got lot of blooms
in Hot Cocoa/lavaglut/Gene borner/ etc. I planed Hot cocoa

this year and I
like the unusual color.

I really wanted a Hot Cocoa and when one of my
older Purple Tigers died, I ran out and bought a
Hot Cocoa. It's doing great, and the color is
exactly as advertised.

I moved about 4 roses and all of them are doing good

except Europeana. It is
not growing at all! Not even
new leaves. It is not dead either. It is just sitting

there the same as when
I replanted it. Any ideas?

Have you tried watering with seaweed (in water)?
That helps when transplanting shrubs or just
about any other time. Garden-ville carries it. I
don't know if that will help, though; I don't have
Europeana. But if the canes haven't turned brown,
then maybe it's just resting after transplant.

Gail
near San Antonio TX

First Blooms Henry Roses 3 17-05-2005 12:24 AM
First Blooms of 2005! Darren Garrison Roses 2 25-04-2005 06:40 PM
First Blooms Michelle Gardening 2 21-03-2004 09:33 AM
Remove First Year Blueberry Blooms Greg Gardening 7 08-04-2003 04:44 AM
First Spring blooms marg Gardening 11 03-02-2003 03:11 AM