Old 30-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Sharon Capps

Default planting climbers

I am going to plant Henry Kelsey by my chain link fence and would like to
know how far away from the fence to plant. Are these fast growers or do
they take several years to bloom. Thanks.
Sharon in MN

Old 30-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Charles Perry

Sharon Capps wrote:

I am going to plant Henry Kelsey by my chain link fence and would like to
know how far away from the fence to plant. Are these fast growers or do
they take several years to bloom.

I planted some climbers along my back fence about 18 inches from
the fence. I would not put them any closer if you have the
option.

Henry Kelsey should bloom the first year. However, here in MN it
takes a few years to grow enough wood to have an impressive
display. Henry Kelsey grew faster than John Davis, but not as
fast as William Baffin in terms of producing wood in the first
years after planting.

Regards,

Charles
--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Old 30-04-2004, 04:04 PM
dave weil

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:52:08 GMT, Charles Perry
wrote:

Sharon Capps wrote:

I am going to plant Henry Kelsey by my chain link fence and would like to
know how far away from the fence to plant. Are these fast growers or do
they take several years to bloom.

I planted some climbers along my back fence about 18 inches from
the fence. I would not put them any closer if you have the
option.

Henry Kelsey should bloom the first year. However, here in MN it
takes a few years to grow enough wood to have an impressive
display. Henry Kelsey grew faster than John Davis, but not as
fast as William Baffin in terms of producing wood in the first
years after planting.

Regards,

Charles

I planted my Old Blush climber right next to the fence (a four
footer). I did it on a side that had a sidewalk within a foot of the
fence and I wanted to reserve the other side for a possible garden.

Didn't seem to worry it any. In fact, it's now overtaking the garden
that I had on the other side. I'm going to have to move some stuff
after this season is over and that's going to be tough because the Old
Blush forms a canopy all on its own.

Most climbers are pretty swift growers. I don't know about Kelsey, but
Old Blush now has a spread of 35 feet from end to end after 3 full
seasons. I'm in zone 6b and the zone can make a difference as well.

The thing to remember is that you shouldn't prune these climbers very
much. You can trim dead wood or take out a few unproducing canes, but
for the most part **Don't Touch It!**

I centered Old Blush on the fence and let it spread both ways. I did
some weaving in between the links and also on the top spines that
stick out, but I didn't tie anything. Now it just grows on itself
anyway.

Here are a couple o' pics:

http://www.pbase.com/image/28458933
http://www.pbase.com/image/28459197

Old 30-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Charles Perry

dave weil wrote:

I planted my Old Blush climber right next to the fence...
...Didn't seem to worry it any.

Well, sure, If you have room to dig the hole, you have room for
the rose. I am all for that. However, most of the cane hardy
climbers that rebloom here in zone 4a and colder are really
shrubs that can be trained to climb and if you can give them more
room, they seem to be happy about that. Henry Kelsey is probably
the most "climber like" that I have grown in that it will grow
long flexible canes without special encouragement.

Most climbers are pretty swift growers. I don't know about Kelsey, but
Old Blush now has a spread of 35 feet from end to end after 3 full
seasons. I'm in zone 6b and the zone can make a difference as well.

Nice pictures. I wish we had your growing season in MN. Our
expectations have to be considerably more modest. With the
exception of William Baffin and to a lesser extent, John Cabot,
the Canadian climbing roses have had a slow start for me. They
are usually sold on their own roots and that may have something
to do with the slow start.

Regards,

Charles

Old 05-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Cindy

Absolutly beuatiful! Now if I could get the same results over here towards
the mountains I would be happy.

Cindy
Some where in zone 7b - East TN

--
All outgoing mail scanned for viruses.

climbers heidi Roses 3 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Climbers Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 2 10-03-2003 09:33 PM
Climbers on Fence Jack United Kingdom 5 09-02-2003 02:37 PM
Red & White Climbers climbing iceberg Radika Kesavan Roses 1 27-01-2003 10:09 AM
child friendly climbers ellio United Kingdom 8 22-11-2002 06:11 PM