Old 02-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Al

Default Deer Resistant Roses

I am look for Deer Resistant roses to plant in my garden.

So far I have a Harrison's Yellow rose and Rosa Rogusta. The dear do not
mess with these . Because they are very thorny. What are some other Roses I
can get.

Thanks

Albert

Old 02-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Sunflower

"Al" wrote in message
. net...

I am look for Deer Resistant roses to plant in my garden.

So far I have a Harrison's Yellow rose and Rosa Rogusta. The dear do not
mess with these . Because they are very thorny. What are some other Roses

can get.

Thanks

Albert

You just don't have hungry enough deer yet. There isn't a single rose that
a deer won't snack on if they want to. An electric fence is the only thing
that'll keep them away permanantly.

Old 02-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Al

You just don't have hungry enough deer yet. There isn't a single rose

that
a deer won't snack on if they want to. An electric fence is the only

thing
that'll keep them away permanantly.

The Harrison's Yellow rose and the Rosa Rugosta are very thorny. Much more
thorny than tea roses. If the deer tried to eat them they would get a mouth
full of thorns.

Albert

Old 02-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Rez

In article , "Al" wrote:

You just don't have hungry enough deer yet. There isn't a single rose

that
a deer won't snack on if they want to. An electric fence is the only

thing
that'll keep them away permanantly.

The Harrison's Yellow rose and the Rosa Rugosta are very thorny. Much more
thorny than tea roses. If the deer tried to eat them they would get a mouth
full of thorns.

We have one rose that thinks it's a dagger factory, you can slice
yourself but good if you're not VERY careful, and that doesn't stop
the Starving Attack Rabbits from climbing on it trying to get at the
blossoms. Had to put rabbit-proof fence around it til it got tall
enough that most of the bush is out of their reach.

~REZ~

Old 02-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Mark. Gooley

"Al" wrote:
I am look for Deer Resistant roses to plant in my garden.

So far I have a Harrison's Yellow rose and Rosa Rogusta.
The dear do not mess with these . Because they are very
thorny. What are some other Roses I can get.

Do you mean R. rugosa?

I have had deer attack "Mermaid" which has whopper thorns,
and R. sericea pteracantha ("Wingthorn"): true, both were young
plants and not producing the same large thorns that one finds on
mature specimens. I've had leaves carefully eaten off of some
pretty thorny shrub roses. The tight-spaced prickly thorns on
rugosa hybrids seem to deter deer predation a bit, and Harrison's
Yellow has Scotch rose ancestry that would arm it similarly.
I guess that anything with Scotch rose or rugosa blood might
work -- check descendants of them on helpmefind.com -- but
thorns seem to be only slight deterrent to my deer here, especially
on plants where the compound rose leaves stand well away
from thorny canes.

Good luck!

Mark.

Old 03-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Harvey Schmidlapp

Rez wrote:

In article , "Al" wrote:
You just don't have hungry enough deer yet. There isn't a single rose
that a deer won't snack on if they want to. An electric fence is the only
thing that'll keep them away permanantly.

The Harrison's Yellow rose and the Rosa Rugosta are very thorny. Much more
thorny than tea roses. If the deer tried to eat them they would get a mouth
full of thorns.

We have one rose that thinks it's a dagger factory, you can slice
yourself but good if you're not VERY careful, and that doesn't stop
the Starving Attack Rabbits from climbing on it trying to get at the
blossoms. Had to put rabbit-proof fence around it til it got tall
enough that most of the bush is out of their reach.

A fenced yard and a large dog that's outdoors all the time will usually
do the trick. That's not always an option, however.

--
Henry

Old 03-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Rez

In article , Harvey Schmidlapp wrote:
We have one rose that thinks it's a dagger factory, you can slice
yourself but good if you're not VERY careful, and that doesn't stop
the Starving Attack Rabbits from climbing on it trying to get at the
blossoms. Had to put rabbit-proof fence around it til it got tall
enough that most of the bush is out of their reach.

A fenced yard and a large dog that's outdoors all the time will usually
do the trick. That's not always an option, however.

I have 40 Labradors and this doesn't discourage the rabbits at all
(and a friend with a dozen dogs has videotape of deer jumping her
8' tall fence and running thru the yard!) -- I did just pick up a
couple feral cats and hopefully they will help, assuming they don't
get eaten by owls or coyotes -- who in SoCal must subsist mainly on
cats, since they certainly aren't putting a dent in the rabbits!

~REZ~

Old 11-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Judith Truly

A fence that leans in at a 45deg. angle will keep out deer. They can jump
high but not wide.
. net...

Old 12-05-2004, 02:05 PM
J. Del Col

The Harrison's Yellow rose and the Rosa Rugosta are very thorny. Much
more
thorny than tea roses. If the deer tried to eat them they would get a

mouth
full of thorns.

Albert

I have these roses. I have watched deer eat the new growth on both of them.

J. Del Col
Old 08-07-2004, 10:02 PM

of course, if you are misfortunate enough to live in an area of the country
where there are rose chafer (beetles) and japanese beetles which, in a
one-day onslaught, can munch their way through a 6 foot high Rosa rugosa,
both flowers AND leaves, then you'll know...there's not much left for deer
to munch on.

if you plant certain items which the deer prefer MORE than YOUR favourite
roses, there's a much slighter chance of them eating the roses. other plant
suggestions (and, most of these are fully to semi-wild in the eastern sector
of america/canada):

Filipendula; Verbascum; Solidago; Pulmonaria; Sambucus; Martagon lily; etc.
i apologise for not knowing the common name...but then again, it wouldn't
matter since common names can be different from state to state, etc.

lastly...do remember the deer were living there before your house was built,
no matter how long ago that might have been....don't you think it's their
right to eat whatever is in their path? I DO!

Old 09-07-2004, 03:03 AM
spice

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:42:22 GMT, wrote:

[...]

CRAP!!!!!! If a rat gets in your house do you just let him eat
whatever he(or she) wants- -because he (his ancestors) was there
before you built your house.- -same difference.

In the area I live, and have live for 70 years, deer have
over-polulated-"because they are protected from man" and their natural
enemies are no longer around (in the quantity it takes to control
them). They thrive on the domestic crops rather than their natural
food in the forest.

I live on 120 acres adjoining the National Forest. I raise roses,
with very little problem from the deer (though, it is not unusual to
see 18 or 20 in a bunch at certain time of the year).

The solution is simple "an electric fence". Not something elaborate,
or dangerous.

A pet fence, you can buy the charger at most hardware stores for less
than $50.00 US. These chargers are harmless, and will not hurt your
pet or child (or you). A single wire (across the lenght of your rose
garden) in the direction from which the deer comes. Mine is about 18
to 20 inches from the far reaching branches of the roses, and about
knee high. Where they will touch it just before they start eating.

I have observed, that in the early spring, there will be an occasional
track by the wire, but by early summer you will never see deer signs.

Once a deer is shocked, it will never be back.(and I suppose, since
the group leader is usually the one shocked, he will not bring his
group back). What ever the reason, it works, and has worked for me
for several years.

Have a nice one. (no insult intended) Spice

Old 15-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Pat and Ash

Al wrote:

I am look for Deer Resistant roses to plant in my garden.

So far I have a Harrison's Yellow rose and Rosa Rogusta. The dear do not
mess with these . Because they are very thorny. What are some other Roses I
can get.

Thanks

Albert

If you're looking for something thorny, try David Austin's Othello.
Lovely deep magenta blooms with lots of scent, but enough thorns to keep
the deer at bay.
....pat.

--
Pat and Ash