GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Weeks - Spice so nice (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/60679-weeks-spice-so-nice.html)

Cindy 05-05-2004 07:03 PM

Weeks - Spice so nice

I have a beautiful Spice So Nice climber that reached @ 6-8 feet tall
last year and tons of blooms. I pruned it back about late Feb ( Moderate
temps here in East TN) to a recommended 6 - 8 inches from the stock.
My question is Does this particular rose bloom on old canes or new?

If it blooms on old I guess I am in trouble sigh Its coming along as
far as its new growth and I have been staking/tying the upcoming canes to
the pillar of my front porch.

Thanks

Cindy

--
All outgoing mail scanned for viruses.

Sunflower 07-05-2004 04:03 AM

Weeks - Spice so nice

"Cindy" wrote in message
. ..
I have a beautiful Spice So Nice climber that reached @ 6-8 feet tall
last year and tons of blooms. I pruned it back about late Feb ( Moderate
temps here in East TN) to a recommended 6 - 8 inches from the stock.
My question is Does this particular rose bloom on old canes or new?

If it blooms on old I guess I am in trouble sigh Its coming along as
far as its new growth and I have been staking/tying the upcoming canes to
the pillar of my front porch.

Thanks

Cindy

--Climbers shouldn't be pruned at all for the first three years unless a

cane is imperiling life or limb. You have to let them build up a structure
of canes to cover the support, and then at three years, you can remove some
of the older ones. I wouldn' t even prune a hybrid tea down to 6". That's
just too harsh, unless Mother Nature does that for you with winter. Most
roses do better with moderate pruning.