Old 13-05-2004, 07:05 AM
Sis

Default Blackspot and Japanese Beetles

Right now my roses are all beautiful, but every year, starting in June, they
develop blackspot and are attacked by Japanese Beetles. I have garden sulfur
for the blackspot,but I'm not sure how to use it. I don't want to poison any
beneficial insects with it either. I know not to wet the leaves,but it does
rain at night, and the leaves stay wet.
As for the beetles; I try to knock them off into a jar filled with bleach or
ammonia(I forget what exactly to use), but there are so many and I can't be
home all the time. I doubt if there is anything that would kill or keep the
beetles away without harming the bees,is there?The beetles lures aren't very
effective. Would some kind person please give me some help!? Thanks. S

Old 14-05-2004, 12:13 AM
Sunflower

"Sis" wrote in message
[...]

Use mancozeb NOW every 7 days to keep away black spot. Fungicides only
prevent black spot, they don't cure it. THey can stop the progression of
the disease, but the damaged leaf will always remain damaged and the plant
has to grow new foliage. Fungicides also do not kill insects. They are not
insecticides. YOur beneficials are perfectly safe.

As for Japanese beetles, Merit works splendidly.

Old 14-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Sis

Thanks for your advice! Is Merit an insecticide? Aren't they harmful to the
bees and similar insects? I'm desperate, so I'll probably buy it even though
I try to practice organic gardening. Thanks again. Sis