Old 15-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Zemmy!!

Default How Long?

How long after planting a bareroot rose would you expect to see some growth?

I put my new Zepherine Douhin in her new home today and enquiring minds
wanna know.

BTW this is my first rose so go easy on me!

Zemmy!!
Z5

Old 16-05-2004, 08:02 AM
dave weil

On Sat, 15 May 2004 15:44:52 -0500, in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

How long after planting a bareroot rose would you expect to see some growth?

I put my new Zepherine Douhin in her new home today and enquiring minds
wanna know.

BTW this is my first rose so go easy on me!

Zemmy!!
Z5

Did you mound up compost over the canes? It's recommended by many
experts. It will help protect new growth from drying winds and hot
sun. Keep the compost mounded up for about a month or until new growth
starts peeking through the mulch. Then *carefully* pull the mulch back
trying to avoid damaging the new growth. At that time, you can make a
"doughnut" of mulch around the rose that will help keep moisture in as
well.

Old 18-05-2004, 02:20 AM
Zemmy!!

Did you mound up compost over the canes? It's recommended by many
experts. It will help protect new growth from drying winds and hot
sun. Keep the compost mounded up for about a month or until new growth
starts peeking through the mulch. Then *carefully* pull the mulch back
trying to avoid damaging the new growth. At that time, you can make a
"doughnut" of mulch around the rose that will help keep moisture in as
well.

Thanks for the tip. The planting instructions didn't advise it but I did it
(especially since I'll be gone for a few days).

Thanks for the help
Zemmy!

Old 18-05-2004, 03:05 AM
dave weil

On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:38:46 -0500, in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

Did you mound up compost over the canes? It's recommended by many
experts. It will help protect new growth from drying winds and hot
sun. Keep the compost mounded up for about a month or until new growth
starts peeking through the mulch. Then *carefully* pull the mulch back
trying to avoid damaging the new growth. At that time, you can make a
"doughnut" of mulch around the rose that will help keep moisture in as
well.

Thanks for the tip. The planting instructions didn't advise it but I did it
(especially since I'll be gone for a few days).

Thanks for the help
Zemmy!

Oooops, I wrote compost a couple of times when I meant mulch. Did you
catch that and actually use mulch (I hope)?? I'm afraid that compost
will be too heavy and not allow air to flow. If you have the chance,
pull the compost back and substitute for mulch as soon as you can.

Old 18-05-2004, 09:07 PM
Zemmy!!

Oooops, I wrote compost a couple of times when I meant mulch. Did you
catch that and actually use mulch (I hope)?? I'm afraid that compost
will be too heavy and not allow air to flow. If you have the chance,
pull the compost back and substitute for mulch as soon as you can.

I used mulch. I put the compost in the soil to lkosen it up and give it some
yummy organinc stuff..

Zemmy!!

Old 19-05-2004, 12:10 AM
dave weil

On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:57:37 -0500, "Zemmy!!" wrote:

Oooops, I wrote compost a couple of times when I meant mulch. Did you
catch that and actually use mulch (I hope)?? I'm afraid that compost
will be too heavy and not allow air to flow. If you have the chance,
pull the compost back and substitute for mulch as soon as you can.

I used mulch. I put the compost in the soil to lkosen it up and give it some
yummy organinc stuff..

Cool. I was hoping that you weren't misled. Compost would have
probably choked it to death...