Old 17-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Mark. Gooley

Default JFK (was What causes blooms to shrink in size?)

"dave weil" wrote:
"JimS." wrote:

My Grand Finale puts out much, much more than JFK.

I thought that JFK put out more than *anyone*.

Oh, you're talking about the rose.

Neeeever mind.

Just for the hell of it, someone should try crossing JFK
with Marilyn Monroe.

The American Rose Society gives JFK a low rating,
yet it's always available at big mass-market retailers.
Could be the same Kennedy mystique that ensures the
re-election of Senator Ted. The variety has been
ubiquitous since I was a boy in the Sixties, but I've
never seen it performing very well: never especially
floriferous, often rather sickly. The best thing going
for it is its scent, which is excellent, especially for a
hybrid tea of its era.

Mark., I had one, but it died

Old 19-05-2004, 05:04 AM
ben boorman

A lot of people have said the same thing. I guess you just have to
believe. But in seriousness, my JFK grew over 12 feet high until I
transplanted it to the back yard with more sun. Now it stays a bit
shorter, but I have now got a case of Mosiac Virus that makes it put out
on half the stalks a gorgeous peach color. sorta like marilyn's .....

ben

Old 19-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Mark. Gooley

"ben boorman" wrote:
A lot of people have said the same thing. I guess
you just have to believe. But in seriousness, my
JFK grew over 12 feet high until I transplanted it
to the back yard with more sun. Now it stays a bit
shorter, but I have now got a case of Mosiac Virus
that makes it put out on half the stalks a gorgeous
peach color. sorta like marilyn's .....

Well, I'll give it another try. Lord knows that a JFK is
easy enough to obtain around here, or anywhere else I've
lived in the US. Some of the cheapo mass-market ones
at walleyemart and such are even in pretty good shape if
I get them when they're fresh off the truck.

Mark., need to get a Tropicana, too, for my collection of
ugly-colored roses

Old 24-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Kumar Varadan

I planted JFK this year in Austin, TX where it is very hot suring summer.
But so far the weather has
not gone above 92-93. But still my jfk becomes brown at the edges even in
the bud stage
and when it opens it is ugly! Did I make a mistake planting a JFK? Anyway
next year it
moves away to the back of the garden in a corner.

-Kumar

Old 25-05-2004, 05:04 AM
ben boorman

JFK likes to get burnt. no pun intended. It does burn, and is very
much affected by thrips and earwigs.... great looking rose when it's
right, ugly brown thing when it doesn't.

ben

Old 26-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Shiva

Kumar Varadan wrote:

I planted JFK this year in Austin, TX where it is very hot suring summer.
But so far the weather has
not gone above 92-93. But still my jfk becomes brown at the edges even in
the bud stage
and when it opens it is ugly! Did I make a mistake planting a JFK? Anyway
next year it
moves away to the back of the garden in a corner.

-Kumar

Kumar--

1. You have thrips. Do a web search, there are effective
treatments. Orthenex, which I use every 10 days, does not touch
them. I think Cygon does, but I am not going to spray one more thing.

2. JFK has a rep as a sucky rose. Try White Lightnin' for a
nice grandiflora with good fragrance that does not seem
to be bothered by thrips as much as the light colored hybrid teas.

3. Grow roses that have some color to them!! Thrips either do
not like them or do not show up on them. I grow: Full Sail,
Margaret Merrill, Tineke, and White Lightnin, and all but the last
spend the entire summer as ugly brown balls. I get good blooms
in early spring and fall, on either side of thrips season.

Old 26-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Kumar Varadan

Thanks Shiva, I do have a lot of good colored roses. I have iceberg and
thought JFK might be better .
I did try to get white lightnin. But could not get one in nurseries here
this season. I do spray but did not
in the last about 3 weeks. Dont like to spary often. Let me spray this week
and see.

-Kumar

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.fe63ab739df305587964b3cbfbeac0ba @1085530480.nulluser.com...

red spots on JFK Heidi Stump Roses 5 18-02-2014 08:49 PM
Heat-shrink tubing as wrapping for grafts? Michael Bell United Kingdom 24 26-05-2010 09:22 AM
HBO, Tom Hanks stoop to "debunking JFK conspiracy theories" John Kepler Ponds 0 21-09-2007 09:49 PM
What causes blooms to shrink in size? Emil Roses 9 17-05-2004 03:16 PM