Old 18-05-2004, 02:21 AM
Frank

Default please recommend a easy growing big flower rose for an anxious new grower

Dear experts,

I live in SF bay area. I'm thinking of adding roses to my northeast
facing balcony. It is really a rose season now. Roses are everywhere.
Some are soooo huge and striking! I really cannot resist the
temperation! The spot I have for it will probably get 3-4 hours
afternoon sun, sometimes under some tree shade. Is this ok for roses?
I have a 6" minirose growing on the balcony and flowering profusely.
But I want to have the type that produces big big flowers. Could you
please recommend a easy growing type for me? I have access to HD,
Walmart, OSH. Hope they have the type you recommended. BTW, How many
months can I expect this plant to add color to my balcony? ie. how
long is the flowering season? Am I close to the end of it?

Thanks a lot and anxiously waiting for your suggestions!

Tiff
Old 18-05-2004, 03:05 AM
Gail Futoran

"Frank" wrote in message
m...
Dear experts,

Um, not an expert but someone who's grown
roses relatively successful for a few years.

I live in SF bay area. I'm thinking of adding roses to my

northeast
facing balcony. It is really a rose season now. Roses are

everywhere.
Some are soooo huge and striking! I really cannot resist

the
temperation! The spot I have for it will probably get 3-4

hours
afternoon sun, sometimes under some tree shade. Is this ok

for roses?

Usual advice is minimum 6 hours for roses.
Some roses do ok in less sun but I have
little/no experience with those. If you do a
Google groups search http://groups.google.com/
Go to Advanced Groups Search, put
roses for shade in the first blank space
then rec.gardens.roses in the blank space for
newsgroup. I usually limit the search to the
last two years or so just to keep the number
of finds to a minimum. You'll find a lot of
advice and maybe even some workable links.

Get at least a 5 gallon pot and don't plan on a climber.
For more information on container roses, go to
http://www.ars.org/
and then do a site search on container or potted
roses.

There are so many roses, you'd do best to
pick one based on bloom color, bloom size,
mature size of bush (should all be listed on the
paper label).

I have a 6" minirose growing on the balcony and flowering

profusely.
But I want to have the type that produces big big flowers.

Could you
please recommend a easy growing type for me? I have access

to HD,
Walmart, OSH. Hope they have the type you recommended.

BTW, How many
months can I expect this plant to add color to my balcony?

ie. how
long is the flowering season? Am I close to the end of

it?

Modern roses usually have a long growing &
blooming season as long as temps are relatively
warm - spring to fall. I would think you could
pot up a rose now and see blooms for a few
months yet.

I'm hesitant to recommend any particular rose
because it might be near the end of the selling
season with particular roses harder to find. Why
not call a few nurseries that specialize in roses and
ask some questions? Or swing by a local botanical
garden and check out what's growing. That will
give you a better idea of what does well locally,
and you'll perhaps also see some blooms you
really like.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 18-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Frank

Thanks a lot for your help!!! I searched online and Rugosas rose is
said to be tolerant to shady, pest resist and easy to care. But I then
realized that Rugosas is a big name for many roses. I saw in many
articles, people only mention fancy flower names. How do I identify
which belongs to Rugosas? On the other hand, the type of roses on ARS
website are
Floribunda
Climber
Hybrid Tea
Grandiflora
Miniature
Shrub & Landscape
Tree Roses

I'm confused by all these names. Where can I find a table or sth like
that showing all names and their relationship?

I'm thinking of getting 2004's winner "honey perfume" and "day
breaker". They both belong to floribunda. But not sure if they grow
well in the containers.

Thanks a ton!!!
Tiff

Old 18-05-2004, 08:10 PM
Gail Futoran

"Frank" wrote in message
m...
Thanks a lot for your help!!! I searched online and

Rugosas rose is
said to be tolerant to shady, pest resist and easy to

care. But I then
realized that Rugosas is a big name for many roses. I saw

in many
articles, people only mention fancy flower names. How do I

identify
which belongs to Rugosas?

If you do a google search on a particular name,
the type of rose should also be listed. See
www.helpmefind.com
However, I just did a google search on rugosa
roses and found a bunch of sites with specific rose
names. Some of the sites list sources. If you want
to go that route, I'd recommend calling local
nurseries. I doubt the discount places (Wal-Mart
etc.) would carry rugosas.

On the other hand, the type of roses on ARS
website are
Floribunda
Climber
Hybrid Tea
Grandiflora
Miniature
Shrub & Landscape
Tree Roses

I'm confused by all these names. Where can I find a table

or sth like
that showing all names and their relationship?

Oh it's a lot worse than that! "Old garden" or
"antique" or "heritage" roses have a whole bunch
more sub-categories. Here's one site that
might help w/ classifications:
http://www.berkeleyhort.com/roses/r_...fications.html
[note that they're quoting the ARS handbook]

I would recommend buying one of the inexpensive
Sunset or Ortho series soft-cover books on roses.
They're available at bookstores, home improvement
centers and the like, even used bookstores might
have them and they don't go out of date that
quickly. They do a good job of introducing you
to roses. I started out with those books.

I'm thinking of getting 2004's winner "honey perfume" and

"day
breaker". They both belong to floribunda. But not sure if

they grow
well in the containers.

Floribundas are generally shorter and more
compact than Hybrid Teas (the other major
category of modern roses) and "Shrubs", which
is really a catch-all category for roses that don't
fall neatly into other categories. Grandifloras
are a Hybrid Tea/Floribunda cross - usually
a bigger plant like the Hybrid Teas, but with
a cluster of blooms rather than a single bloom on
a cane (as in Hybrid Teas).

Anyhoo, bottom line, you're better off starting
out with a Floribunda (all else being equal) as
a potted rose since it will take longer to outgrow
the pot, so it's good you found 2 you like.

Thanks a ton!!!
Tiff

You're welcome. Good luck.

Gail

Old 19-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Gail Futoran

"ben boorman" wrote in message
http://w3.goodnews.net/~kkrugh/rose/shade1.htm

http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/sgrosesshade.htm

Ben

Nice links! I tried to find some good ones but
couldn't without spending a lot more time than
I wanted to. I've bookmarked your suggestions.

Gail