Old 28-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Philip Lewis

Default Rose identification

So, as part of my lazy^H^H^H^H"restoration" of some of the landscape
of my home (built 1874) I've seen and let some roses grow in an old
bed (brick outlined) that has since been converted to lawn.

It bloomed this year, and i'd be interested in finding out what kind
of rose it is.

All I know is that it is a white single, estimate that the flower
spread is 4-5cm.

I can take digital pics....
I plan to take the following pics:
Overall
closeup of flower
closeup of unopend bud (if any exist)
closeup of leaf/branch structure

what other information/pics will be of most use to help with identification?

--
be safe.
flip

Old 28-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Gail Futoran

"Philip Lewis" wrote in
message
du...
So, as part of my lazy^H^H^H^H"restoration" of some of the

landscape
of my home (built 1874) I've seen and let some roses grow

in an old
bed (brick outlined) that has since been converted to

lawn.

It bloomed this year, and i'd be interested in finding out

what kind
of rose it is.

All I know is that it is a white single, estimate that the

flower
spread is 4-5cm.

I can take digital pics....
I plan to take the following pics:
Overall
closeup of flower
closeup of unopend bud (if any exist)
closeup of leaf/branch structure

what other information/pics will be of most use to help

with identification?

Overall size: height & width. Is it a shrub or
a climber? Does it bloom in clusters (several
blooms on one cane end) or as a single bloom
like a Hybrid Tea?

A couple of other suggestions:
1) go to www.helpmefind.com and use the information
you know about your own rose, see if you can
identify it.
2) please don't post your digital photos to
rec.gardens.roses. This is a text-only newsgroup.
There are binaries newsgroups where you can
post your photos and then post a note *here*
telling us where your photos are posted and
the subject header we should look for.
It helps to come up with a subject header
different from "need rose id"; i.e. be unique in
choice of a subject header. Makes it easier for
us to find your photos.

I'll mention as one possibility:
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens , since
it seems a logical place, but as a cavaet I almost
never visit binaries newsgroups; my connection's
slow enough to make that a real chore, and I'm
not familiar with that group.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 29-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Philip Lewis

"Gail Futoran" writes:
Overall size: height & width.
Is it a shrub or a climber?
Does it bloom in clusters (several blooms on one cane end) or
as a single bloom like a Hybrid Tea?

well.. I'm a rose new-bee, my wife is a hybrid lover, so we have a few
of those. That said i would say:

size: new rose, but currently has several 1-2 foot canes with at least
1 4-5 foot growth that arcs back to the ground.
Max cane diameter is probably 1/4 - 1/2 inch.
Max height is about 2 foot.
I would consider it a rambler... but i guess that's a climber with no
place to go. sorry... i don't know enought to classify it
yet. Hopefully the picture will help.

cluster bloom (i think) and a little smaller than I remembered. perhaps 1 inch across.

2) please don't post your digital photos to
rec.gardens.roses. This is a text-only newsgroup.

i know... I planned on publishing it on my own page and sending a
link... but it is good to remind folks who havn't been computing for
20+ years.

Thanks for the link... neat.
i wish it had better search. (it is a small white bloom, and if you
select two criteria it "or"s them instead of "and"s them.)
I might be missing something.

Perhaps i'll go take some pictures and make some notes.

Old 29-05-2004, 05:05 AM
Gail Futoran

"Philip Lewis" wrote in
message
du...
"Gail Futoran" writes:
Overall size: height & width.
Is it a shrub or a climber?
Does it bloom in clusters (several blooms on one cane

end) or
as a single bloom like a Hybrid Tea?

well.. I'm a rose new-bee, my wife is a hybrid lover, so

we have a few
of those. That said i would say:

size: new rose, but currently has several 1-2 foot canes

with at least
1 4-5 foot growth that arcs back to the ground.
Max cane diameter is probably 1/4 - 1/2 inch.
Max height is about 2 foot.
I would consider it a rambler... but i guess that's a

climber with no
place to go. sorry... i don't know enought to classify

it
yet. Hopefully the picture will help.

I have a problem distinguishing ramblers and
climbers myself. Most of my roses are shrub
roses. If yours is a rambler then it should be
easier to identify. I think there are fewer of
those in commerce than, say, Hybrid Teas
and Floribundas.

cluster bloom (i think) and a little smaller than I

remembered. perhaps 1 inch across.

That is sounding more like a rambler, but some
"mini" roses can get quite tall and have small
blooms like that.

2) please don't post your digital photos to
rec.gardens.roses. This is a text-only newsgroup.

i know... I planned on publishing it on my own page and

sending a
link... but it is good to remind folks who havn't been

computing for
20+ years.

A dose of prevention... You took it well, thanks.
I have a relatively slow connection (live in a
rural area and can't get a faster connection
without spending more money than I wish) so
most digital photos take forever to download.
I'm still trying to train friends & relatives with
digital cameras + cable connection to NOT
send me huge image files in email!

Thanks for the link... neat.
i wish it had better search. (it is a small white bloom,

and if you
select two criteria it "or"s them instead of "and"s them.)
I might be missing something.

If you can find advanced search, select one
criterion, then there's an option to select More
Criteria up to 5. I did a search on color
(white, near white & white blend), bloom form
(single), and class (rambler) and came up with
about 12 results. I don't recognize any of the
names, though.

Perhaps i'll go take some pictures and make some notes.

Here are some more links for rose lists:
http://www.everyrose.com/everyrose/index.lasso
http://www.findmyroses.com/

But your best bet is what you plan to do already.
Someone here might well be able to recognize
your rose from photos.

Gail

Old 30-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Sunflower

"Philip Lewis" wrote in message
du...
So, as part of my lazy^H^H^H^H"restoration" of some of the landscape
of my home (built 1874) I've seen and let some roses grow in an old
bed (brick outlined) that has since been converted to lawn.

It bloomed this year, and i'd be interested in finding out what kind
of rose it is.

All I know is that it is a white single, estimate that the flower
spread is 4-5cm.

I can take digital pics....
I plan to take the following pics:
Overall
closeup of flower
closeup of unopend bud (if any exist)
closeup of leaf/branch structure

what other information/pics will be of most use to help with

identification?

--

Rosa multiflora, a non naitive species rose that is considered invasive.
It's also the primary vector of Rose Rosette Disease.

Old Rose identification Johno United Kingdom 6 16-06-2013 09:11 PM
Follow up on the Rose of Sharon Hibiscus identification posts (1/1) Palooka Garden Photos 1 16-05-2008 02:27 AM
Follow up on the Rose of Sharon Hibiscus identification posts (0/1) Palooka Garden Photos 0 16-05-2008 02:26 AM
Rose Identification Draven United Kingdom 1 01-07-2006 12:00 PM
Rose identification needed Banana United Kingdom 4 30-05-2003 04:11 PM