Old 31-05-2004, 01:05 AM
mike vandyke

Default moving established plant

My Dad is in the process of selling his home,there are 2 roses that my Mom
planted when she was living and in good health. I would like to dig them and
move them to my yard. I know now is probably not the best time but just
wondered what you folks thought the odds of success might be.
Thanks in advance!

Old 31-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Shiva

mike vandyke wrote:

My Dad is in the process of selling his home,there are 2 roses that my Mom
planted when she was living and in good health. I would like to dig them and
move them to my yard. I know now is probably not the best time but just
wondered what you folks thought the odds of success might be.
Thanks in advance!

I don't know where you are, but the only impediment is severe heat and
even that may be overcome with enough water and care.

Water well the day before you plan to dig them up. Cut the roses back to a
manageable size. Have large 20+ inch plastic pots ready, with rich black soil
in the bottom third. Dig around the rose in a generous circle--the idea being to get as much as the
root ball as you can. You want the dirt and little white feeder roots to be as
intact as possible. (If they are pretty big, have someone help you.) Once the
root ball is on your shovel, plop it into the pot, top off with much rich
soil (buy some if need be) and water very well. Get them into the ground asap,
at the new place. Dig as big a hole as your back can stand--at least 2'X 2'.

Good luck!

Old 01-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Gail Futoran

"mike vandyke" wrote in message
My Dad is in the process of selling his home,there are 2

roses that my Mom
planted when she was living and in good health. I would

like to dig them and
move them to my yard. I know now is probably not the best

time but just
wondered what you folks thought the odds of success might

be.
Thanks in advance!

Where are you? It was 104 degrees here
today, and about 60 degrees where my sister
lives (NH). Temperature makes a difference
when you're moving roses.

What kind of roses? It's fairly easy to move
a miniature rose, but a large shrub rose or
old garden rose or climber - I'm not sure I'd
attempt it.

Another possibility - maybe the better choice
- is to take cuttings and grow your own roses.
They'll be identical to the "parents".
Go to the American Rose Society:
www.ars.org
Click on articles (you'll find a link in the
body of the welcome text) and then on
Propagation of Roses (bunch of articles).

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8