GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Post Emergent Herbicide? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/62752-post-emergent-herbicide.html)

bg 31-05-2004 02:05 AM

Post Emergent Herbicide?

I'm trying to control weed and grass growth beneath some established
roses. Is there a rose safe herbicide, and/or way to control weeds that
are already growing?
thanks,
bill g

MMMavocado 31-05-2004 07:04 AM

Post Emergent Herbicide?

We use Finale for everything but true grasses. it will burn the roses if you
hit the canes directly, but if careful, you can use it quite close to the
plant. It's a contact herbicide, and won't kill underground storage organs,
such as nutsedge corms. For true grasses, we use Ornamec, which is sold in
consumer quantities as Grass-B-Gone. The active ingredient is
fluazifop-p-butyl. It can be sprayed on rose canes without damage. It's slow,
but does kill the grass completely, even Bermudagrass.

bg 31-05-2004 10:06 PM

Post Emergent Herbicide?

Ben and MMMa,
Hey thanks for suggestions. I'd been hitting around 'em with 2-4-D but am afraid of
it getting on the plants.
bill g