Old 05-06-2004, 05:03 AM
ben boorman

Default Are we offline these days?

Is anyone home?

Old 05-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Harvey Schmidlapp

ben boorman wrote:
Is anyone home?

Yep. I'm home but spending a lot of time out in the yard. It's a busy
time of year.

--
Henry

Old 06-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Shiva

ben boorman wrote:

Is anyone home?

It is cool and dry in NC this weekend, whereas
it was humid and in the 90s last month. Many of us
are in our gardens.

Since you are lonely, why don't you tell me why
you hacked your Don Juan to bits when you know
very well not to hard prune climbers? How is
it doing? This is one of my favorite roses, and
to tell you the truth, it was your post about
hacking it back that gave my last reply to your
inaccurate comment re gray water its edge. I mean,
honestly. You knew better than to hard prune it,
didn't you?

My Don Juan, in the ground for three years,
is 10 feet by 10 feet, mounded on itself over
a chain link fence. It's a fabulous, vigorous
rose.

Old 08-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Gail Futoran

"ben boorman" wrote in message
link.net...
Is anyone home?

Hey Howdy!

It has been quiet here, hasn't it?

It got hot in my part of TX (near San Antonio)
so mostly I've been staying indoors. (Well, ok,
so I stubbed my little toe & broke it, but
that's nada!) Noisettes are blooming like mad,
even if most other roses are taking a teensy break
- still blooming but not as wildly as earlier.

So - how are your roses doing?

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 08-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Shiva

ben boorman wrote:

different ben. Have been considering don Juan, but no room.

I owe you an apology. That wasn't you, as you say, it was
a guy named Gary. I'm sorry, Ben. Where are you?

Old 08-06-2004, 04:29 PM
ben boorman

LA Z10a. Very hot on the light colored roses.... Honor is suffering
from the sun. A few nights of humidity coming in from the coast and now
Mildew everywhere. Spidermites hit my potted, of all things, Heirloom.
Half of it is bare now. Other than that, the thrips seem to have
disappeared, rose slugs are quiet and my Iceberg is in full mildew....
Just about right for June.

Old 08-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Anne Lurie

I'm here -- and so are the Japanese beetles, sigh.

The good news is that we finally had some rain here (2" last Sunday and
another 2" on Friday) -- I was getting really tired of seeing how much
"official" rain was measured at the Raleigh-Durham airport, grrr! (They
would show 1.5" when I had .10 -- not to mention that my soil is entirely
sand!)

BTW, when I deadheaded the roses are week or so ago, some flowers had
actually dried up before they even fully opened (and the buds had a nasty,
brownish tinge on the outside) -- I assume that this is insect damage of
some sort? (from the inside)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 08-06-2004, 04:29 PM
dave weil

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 02:31:50 GMT, in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

I'm here -- and so are the Japanese beetles, sigh.

Yep, here as well. Funy thing is, they are probably starving since for
some reason, I don't have a lot of blooms at the moment.

The good news is that we finally had some rain here (2" last Sunday and
another 2" on Friday) -- I was getting really tired of seeing how much
"official" rain was measured at the Raleigh-Durham airport, grrr! (They
would show 1.5" when I had .10 -- not to mention that my soil is entirely
sand!)

The bad news for me is that we had a storm last week and my dead maple
tree with the Cecile Brunner blew over. One piece of good luck though.
It fell the right way for the rose to suffer minimum damage. Had it
fallen the other way, it would have snapped and crushed the main
canes. Now, instead of an upright rose, I'm going to have a pretty
impressive large bush.

Here are the photos.

http://www.pbase.com/teleburst/cecile_brunner

I threw in the obligatory cat shot as well...
BTW, when I deadheaded the roses are week or so ago, some flowers had
actually dried up before they even fully opened (and the buds had a nasty,
brownish tinge on the outside) -- I assume that this is insect damage of
some sort? (from the inside)

I've had that as well.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"ben boorman" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Is anyone home?

Old 08-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Shiva

dave weil wrote:

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 02:31:50 GMT, in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

for some reason, I don't have a lot of blooms at the moment.

My garden is largely between bloom cycles. Plus, it has been
really hot, except for a brief reprieve over the weekend.
Has it been hot there over the past two weeks? Heat makes
lots of my blooms shrink and disappear.

The bad news for me is that we had a storm last week and my dead maple
tree with the Cecile Brunner blew over. One piece of good luck though.
It fell the right way for the rose to suffer minimum damage. Had it
fallen the other way, it would have snapped and crushed the main
canes. Now, instead of an upright rose, I'm going to have a pretty
impressive large bush.

The hazards of keeping a dead tree around. I have two that need taking
down. Glad the rose is okay.

Here are the photos.

Cecile looks great. And that cat! He doesn't feel happy and
safe--much--does he?

Old 08-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Sis

I saw the first dreaded Japanese beetle today, on my mailbox! I have to get
back outside to look at my roses to see if any beetles are on them yet, but
I have to get my courage up,so I came inside to go on my computer first and
steady my NERVES!! We've had a little too much rain here in PA. You were
lucky with your Cecile Brunner. Mine was damaged last year and only the root
stock is growing and flowering. Take care, Sis