Old 20-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Andy

Default CATS!!

I have a question about gardening and roses. I ahve a particular
problem with cats messing up my expensive roses. Does anyone know
what I can do to keep the cats away. I have tied everything, but I do
not want to hurt the cats.
Thank you
Old 20-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Shiva

Andy wrote:

I have a question about gardening and roses. I ahve a particular
problem with cats messing up my expensive roses.

How exactly do they mess them up? Cats don't usually bother roses.

Does anyone know
what I can do to keep the cats away. I have tied everything, but I do
not want to hurt the cats.
Thank you

Try a motion detector sprinkler. That'll do it.

Old 21-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Gail Futoran

"Andy" wrote in message
om...
I have a question about gardening and roses. I ahve a

particular
problem with cats messing up my expensive roses. Does

anyone know
what I can do to keep the cats away. I have tied

everything, but I do
not want to hurt the cats.
Thank you

How are they messing up your roses? Serious
question. Only thing I've had experience with
was a neighbor's cat using my rose soil as a
litter box.

Suggestions I've read include (but I haven't
tried any of these so YMMV):
-put chicken wire under the mulch on your
rose beds. After a couple times digging in
the soil and running into chicken wire, the
cat(s) will go elsewhere
-orange peels around the roses or rose beds -
the smell seems to be offensive to cats

Also try a google search of newsgroups
for the subject and you'll get bunches more
suggestions. I'd use the advanced search,
specify this newsgroup or rec.gardens* (since
cats disturb other types of plants) and the
topic "deterring cats".
http://groups.google.com/

HTH - Gail

Old 21-06-2004, 02:04 AM
Anne Lurie

Perhaps you might give us a hint what the cats are doing to your roses,
Andy???

Are they "spraying" the roses? Digging them up? Using the dirt for a
litter box?

Are you sure the problem is from cats, and not dogs???

Note: I know that there are a LOT of reasons not to plant J&P bare-root
roses "box and all" but Reason Numero Uno was that my beloved Chessie-Lab
dug up the stupid plant because she wanted the box!!! (I am not making this
up, sigh....)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

om...

Old 21-06-2004, 03:04 AM
ben boorman

If the cats really bug things, try various herbs, Rue comes to mind
first, along the border. Some are not well liked by cats but have no
other affect. Rue don't smell that well up close though.

ben

Old 21-06-2004, 06:10 AM
rich sharp

Andy wrote:

I have a question about gardening and roses. I ahve a particular
problem with cats messing up my expensive roses. Does anyone know
what I can do to keep the cats away. I have tied everything, but I do
not want to hurt the cats.
Thank you

Check with your local pet shop. They should be able steer you

to an aerosol cat repellent. Really! I had some for a different

reason some years back, and it really worked. Someone told me it

was simulated lion ****, and they (the cats) will fear that they

are trspassing on a big guy's territory.

This is not a joke.

Rich in Denver
Old 15-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Pat and Ash

Andy wrote:

I have a question about gardening and roses. I ahve a particular
problem with cats messing up my expensive roses. Does anyone know
what I can do to keep the cats away. I have tied everything, but I do
not want to hurt the cats.
Thank you

Cut lengths of bamboo pole (the thin ones) at a 45 degree angle, and
stick them in the soil at about 3" intervals and 6" sticking out of the
ground. That helps to prevent cats (and raccoons, my favorite pest) from
getting too close to things, resting under plants, or defecating (since
cats want to go into a squat position, the stakes need to be high enough
and frequent enough to prevent the behavior).
....pat.

--
Pat and Ash

http://www3.sympatico.ca/patash/
Pat blogs at http://patsgreenthumb.blogspot.com/
Ash blogs as Michael Court at http://conceptions.blogspot.com/

Cats Lozzie Gardening 2 03-02-2004 09:43 PM
Cats terrorise my fish! Scooby Don't Ponds 22 22-12-2003 08:12 AM
Cats any ideas update auntie_biotic United Kingdom 3 25-04-2003 01:08 AM
cats julie manns United Kingdom 82 07-04-2003 08:56 AM
cats Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 1 19-01-2003 02:04 AM