Old 30-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Melodie Bond

Default roses are leafing...

I have planted a rose garden. something is eating all the leaves off my
roses. Mostly the smaller tea roses. The only two bushes not bothered are
very thorny.
I have sprayed many insecticides to no avail. It is only the roses and not
the junipers, lilacs, or cannas. I think it might be rabbits. There are
always several in the yard scurrying away in the morning. Are there any
suggestions as to what I can use as a rabbit deterrant?
Could it be something else. These bushes are completely stripped. I have
green stems and nothing else!

--
Sincerely,
Melodie Bond

Old 01-07-2004, 05:03 AM
Gail Futoran

"Melodie Bond" wrote in message
.. .
I have planted a rose garden. something is eating all the

leaves off my
roses. Mostly the smaller tea roses. The only two bushes

not bothered are
very thorny.
I have sprayed many insecticides to no avail. It is only

the roses and not
the junipers, lilacs, or cannas. I think it might be

rabbits. There are
always several in the yard scurrying away in the morning.

Are there any
suggestions as to what I can use as a rabbit deterrant?
Could it be something else. These bushes are completely

stripped. I have
green stems and nothing else!

--
Sincerely,
Melodie Bond

Usually rabbits will also cut (chew) off part of
smaller canes. Evidence will be seeing green
canes lying around with (usually) diagonal cuts.

For larger roses, I don't do anything. The
rabbits don't take enough to be a real problem.
For smaller or younger roses, or the odd rose
that seems especially tasty to rabbits, I make
a chicken wire cage. That keeps them out. I
don't know of any chemicals that would work.
I use the 2' tall chicken wire and peg it to the
ground with whatever is handy.

I'm concerned about the "spraying of many
insecticides" statement in your query. It's
better to identify a problem before applying a
"solution" that could make things worse. There
are a lot of beneficial insects that are killed
and may worsen a condition rather than help.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 04-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Melodie Bond

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with you 100%
You have to understand that we have been desparately battling grasshoppers.
These guys have stripped our Yaupons completely in past years. We have lost
shrubs to them. Last year as I watched my roses get eaten up along with the
leaves on our maple tree, I assumed it was Grasshoppers. However, the
grasshoppers didn't seem bad this year, but I began spraying in early spring
before you start seeing the big ones.
It breaks my heart to spray for them as I knwo that I am killing off the
large poplulation of praying mantis that we have around here.
I haven't been able to find an organic solution for grasshoppers that
doesn't involve me getting some kind of fowl.

Old 09-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Gail Futoran

"Melodie Bond" wrote
[snip]
You have to understand that we have been desparately

battling grasshoppers.

Ouch!

These guys have stripped our Yaupons completely in past

years. We have lost
shrubs to them. Last year as I watched my roses get eaten

up along with the
leaves on our maple tree, I assumed it was Grasshoppers.

However, the
grasshoppers didn't seem bad this year, but I began

spraying in early spring
before you start seeing the big ones.

Makes sense.

It breaks my heart to spray for them as I knwo that I am

killing off the
large poplulation of praying mantis that we have around

here.

I haven't been able to find an organic solution for

grasshoppers that
doesn't involve me getting some kind of fowl.

Any farmers nearby you could rent a few
chickens from for awhile? I know, dumb idea.
Anyway, good luck.

Gail

Old 09-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Mark. Gooley

"Melodie Bond" wrote:
You have to understand that we have been desparately battling
grasshoppers. These guys have stripped our Yaupons completely
in past years. We have lost shrubs to them. Last year as I
watched my roses get eaten up along with the leaves on our
maple tree, I assumed it was Grasshoppers. However, the
grasshoppers didn't seem bad this year, but I began spraying
in early spring before you start seeing the big ones [...]

There is a grasshopper disease called, I believe, _Nosema locustae_.
It is specific to grasshoppers and a few closely related insects, and
one can buy wheat bran infested with it. I've done that and spread it.
It's supposed to suppress but not wipe out grasshoppers, and it's
supposed to linger in the environment for some time, perhaps years.
I can't say that it's made a huge difference: the grasshoppers seem to
be less numerous. Check www.biconet.com and look under the link
Grasshopper Pathogen. I bought 5 pounds of it, spread most of it a few
months ago...it seems to have helped, but then again, my yaupons were
hardly being touched, and there are other things attacking my roses as
well, including deer...

Mark.