Old 06-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Josephine

Default No buds and blooms forming on Hybrid Teas

Hello to you all. I live in central NJ, and we had a very wet summer
last year. The blooms just got moldy on the bushes. I pruned as
little as possible to avoid borers (thought that was a good idea at
the time). We also had an extremely cold winter, and when I saw my
rose canes looking all black I thought it was due to the cold.

In the Spring, my roses were in a sad state, all my canes were black!
I had to do the most extreme pruning ever, almost down to the soil, no
canes left. I dug little trenches around the root of each plant to
apply fertilizer and compost. Good news was that they kept growing new
canes, I have wonderful foliage - but no blooms! It seems that where
blooms should be forming, it simply dies off. I keep pruning this
back again, and I do get new growth, but I also find these
"dead-looking" little leaves. This only affects my hybrid teas and
two climbers. Three hybrid tea roses actually started out and bloomed
beautifully, but after I deadheaded them - no more buds - same thing
as with the other roses.

My fairies and bonicas are fine, and two hybrid teas in other areas of
my garden are also doing fine.

What is the cause and how do I treat this? Like I said, the foliage
this year is just great - not black spot etc., just no blooms.

Thanks so much in advance for your help - I really appreciate it.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Sunflower

Rose midge, and also the possibility that some of your roses were actually
killed by the winter and what is growing is Dr. Huey, the rootstock that
grows long whippy canes and will bloom next year on those canes produced
this year. Diazanon was the cure for midge, but it's been banned. Not much
research available on anything else that's effective currently.

Old 11-07-2004, 08:06 AM
DVW2010

I suspect midge (it's a tiny, tiny insect) too. Some folks are trying
Triazacide as a replacement for the diazanon. You have to put down the
insecticide as per the directions, and you have to be diligent about it. Midge
has a 3 - 5 day hatching cycle.

HTs take 6 - 8 weeks to rebloom, so if you had a bloom cycle already, it
probably finished in mid-June, next bloom in late July/early August.