Old 12-07-2004, 01:02 AM

Default climbers

Planted six rose climbers end of April, we had a late spring...

they are doing fine and starting to show signs of flowering.
except one which did not make it.

We are one hundred miles north east of Toronto Canada
not sure what zone that is since it was all changed here
a few years ago.

Was wondering how do I take care of the rest during the season.
I water them once a week and give them rose food. Is there anything
else I should be doing..
jak

Old 14-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Gail Futoran

"J" wrote in message

Planted six rose climbers end of April, we had a late

spring...

they are doing fine and starting to show signs of

flowering.
except one which did not make it.

We are one hundred miles north east of Toronto Canada
not sure what zone that is since it was all changed here
a few years ago.

Was wondering how do I take care of the rest during the

season.
I water them once a week and give them rose food. Is there

anything
else I should be doing..
jak

You and I are in very different zones so I'd be
hesitant to make recommendations, other than
deadhead spent blooms regularly to promote
blooming. That should stop when you get close
to your first frost date which should be - in a
few weeks??

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 14-07-2004, 07:02 AM

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 02:47:53 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

"J" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

ZONE 8, happy days is it hot down there, I might be in twilight
Zone, :-)

I will deadhead the spent blooms, thanks for help.

what type of soil do you have, just curious.

middle of September it starts to cool down up here,
thanks
jak
Old 14-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Gail Futoran

"J" wrote
[snip]
ZONE 8, happy days is it hot down there, I might be in

twilight
Zone, :-)

Not too bad - we've had a relatively cool spring
and summer - lots of rain. Lots of weeds. Temps
in the 90s by afternoon, so I tend to come in
from yardwork no later than 2 PM.

I will deadhead the spent blooms, thanks for help.

what type of soil do you have, just curious.

The natural soil is a very fine clay. I amend
holes for roses (most of my roses are in raised
beds) with a locally produced concoction
consisting of fine mulch, compost, orange sand.
I found early on that makes a too light soil -
dries out easily - so I learned to mix back in
some of the clay for water retention.

middle of September it starts to cool down up here,
thanks
jak

If we're lucky, it might get a bit cool around
here by late November, and that might last
into February. In the 10 years I've lived here,
my roses have gone totally dormant over the
"winter" only a few times.

Gail

Old 15-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Pat and Ash

J wrote:

Planted six rose climbers end of April, we had a late spring...

they are doing fine and starting to show signs of flowering.
except one which did not make it.

We are one hundred miles north east of Toronto Canada
not sure what zone that is since it was all changed here
a few years ago.

Was wondering how do I take care of the rest during the season.
I water them once a week and give them rose food. Is there anything
else I should be doing..
jak

Hi Jak. I'm in Toronto. Are you on the lake, or inland? If inland, you
might be zone 5 (Canadian system) which is zone 4 (US).
If you're on Lake Ontario, you're probably a bit milder, and may be zone
6 (Canadian system). You can check out the latest maps he
http://wms1.agr.gc.ca/cgi-bin/mappla...s&layer=cities

Glad to hear you're seeing signs of flowers. It's been such a cool, damp
spring that our roses are about a month behind where they should be.
Keep doing what you're doing: water and food. Stop feeding them by the
beginning of August so they will stop sending out tender new shoots:
that will help them survive the winter.
Deadhead. If you're cutting a stem or branch back, cut back to where the
wood is fairly substantial (so you won't have thin canes that can't
support the roses) and cut just above an outward facing eye. You'll see
little bud eyes above just about every set of leaves.

Come the end of August, stop deadheading. This helps to send a message
to the rosebush to stop putting out new growth (it concentrates on rose
hips instead). Again, this will help your bushes survive the winter.

For winter, you should consider heaping up soil around the bushes to a
depth of 12". If you've got hardy Explorer Series roses, they may not
need this additional protection, but many roses will need some coddling
at this time of year. Ideally (and here's the challenge) you want to
heap the soil around it after the ground is frozen hard: the goal is to
put soil around it to keep the bush in a frozen state until spring, and
avoid freeze/thaw cycles, which tend to damage or kill roses.

Wait to do a hard prune until spring, when you can investigate your
roses and see what canes have winter kill and which ones are still alive.

Hope this helps!
....pat.

--
Pat and Ash

http://www3.sympatico.ca/patash/
Pat blogs at http://patsgreenthumb.blogspot.com/
Ash blogs as Michael Court at http://conceptions.blogspot.com/

Old 30-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Registered User

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by J
Planted six rose climbers end of April, we had a late spring...

they are doing fine and starting to show signs of flowering.
except one which did not make it.

We are one hundred miles north east of Toronto Canada
not sure what zone that is since it was all changed here
a few years ago.

Was wondering how do I take care of the rest during the season.
I water them once a week and give them rose food. Is there anything
else I should be doing..
jak
Hello, Jak. Toronto is in zone 5 according to the new zones for Canada. See http://sis.agr.gc.ca/cansis/nsdb/cli...ess/intro.html for your own zone -- if you are 100 miles north, you are probably more into zone 4. Just water well and feed with rose food - that's all I do for my John Cabot. Especially the water. As for winter care, you need to find out what they like. If they are Explorers, they shouldn't need the canes taking down - those are cane hardy down I think to zone 3. If they are not Explorers, you will need to find out if they are cane hardy and if they aren't you may need to bury the canes, or at the least take them down and cover them up with leaves, burlap, etc. One of the reasons I have stuck to the Explorer -- no need to bury him which would be hard as I have NO space for that!

Mary Anne in Ottawa

climbers heidi Roses 3 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Climbers Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 2 10-03-2003 09:33 PM
Climbers on Fence Jack United Kingdom 5 09-02-2003 02:37 PM
Red & White Climbers climbing iceberg Radika Kesavan Roses 1 27-01-2003 10:09 AM
child friendly climbers ellio United Kingdom 8 22-11-2002 06:11 PM