GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   back from the dead? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/79142-back-dead.html)

Dennis 15-07-2004 03:02 PM

back from the dead?

I have a rose, Fragrant Cloud, the canes got torn off the poor thing,
I thought it was dead... then about a month or so later there are
leaves growing out of the root stock I left in the ground, and the
beginings of a bud. could this still be the wonderful rose I love? or
is it possible that it is another rose?

"education is the progressive discovery of our own ignorance" --Will Durant
"people who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to " Jerry Seinfeld
"if we don't have a sense of humor, we can't have a sense of perspective --Wayne Thiboux

Mark. Gooley 15-07-2004 04:02 PM

back from the dead?

"Dennis" wrote:
I have a rose, Fragrant Cloud, the canes got torn off the poor thing,
I thought it was dead... then about a month or so later there are
leaves growing out of the root stock I left in the ground, and the
beginings of a bud. could this still be the wonderful rose I love? or
is it possible that it is another rose?

Well, if it was a Fragrant Cloud grafted onto a rootstock, you
probably have the rootstock...unless the new growth is from the
tissue grown from the scion. If there's a flower bud...well, wait
and see. The usual rootstock is not likely to bloom this late in
the season, whereas Fragrant Cloud is.

Mark.

Gail Futoran 16-07-2004 02:06 PM

back from the dead?

"Dennis" wrote in message
I have a rose, Fragrant Cloud, the canes got torn off the

poor thing,
I thought it was dead... then about a month or so later

there are
leaves growing out of the root stock I left in the ground,

and the
beginings of a bud. could this still be the wonderful rose

I love? or
is it possible that it is another rose?

If the new growth is coming from the bud
union, it should be your rose. If it's coming
from the root stock (*below* the bud union),
it's a different rose, typically either one
that won't bloom, or blooms once per year.

I have a Dr. Huey I got from a reverted rose
(before I knew much about roses). I really
like it but I wouldn't want a yard full of them.
Dr. Huey is a common root stock, at least around
my part of the world.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Patrick Scheible 20-07-2004 01:02 AM

back from the dead?

Dennis writes:

I have a rose, Fragrant Cloud, the canes got torn off the poor thing,
I thought it was dead... then about a month or so later there are
leaves growing out of the root stock I left in the ground, and the
beginings of a bud. could this still be the wonderful rose I love? or
is it possible that it is another rose?

It could be either way. Wait and see when it blooms.

-- Patrick