Old 19-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Bruce Musgrove

Default Stopping creeping red fescue

Any idea's on how to keep Creeping red fescue out of my rose and flower
gardens? It seems to grow over under and around anything in its path excpet
concretre walls 4 feet tall and 4 feet deep. I am getting tired of pulling
it.

Old 20-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Mark Leininger

Another way to put roundup on selectively is to use a spray bottle of
water with a little dishwashing detergent in it to spray on the leaves.
This acts as an adjuvant to "wet" the entire surface. Then you can use
an eyedropper to put roundup on the leaves you don't want. One drop will
disperse all over that leaf because of the detergent's action. This also
allows you to safely use much harsher herbicides.

Steveo wrote:

"Bruce Musgrove" wrote:

Any idea's on how to keep Creeping red fescue out of my rose and flower
gardens? It seems to grow over under and around anything in its path
excpet concretre walls 4 feet tall and 4 feet deep. I am getting tired
of pulling it.

Roundup. put it on a sponge and dab it on with a rubber glove until
you get it under control in the tight spots..spray it on in the open
areas.

Old 20-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Bruce Musgrove

I have been using that new round up sprayer that you pull a handle to charge
it. It has a foam spray setting on it that works good BUT you can't seem to
stop it from coming in

NO matter how much I dig, chop, pull round up or put weed block in as a
barrier, the fescue just keeps creeping over. I easily spend 3 hours a
weekend pulling grass in my gardens which total maybe 150-200 sq ft.

Old 22-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Sunflower

"Bruce Musgrove" wrote in message
Any idea's on how to keep Creeping red fescue out of my rose and flower
gardens? It seems to grow over under and around anything in its path

excpet
concretre walls 4 feet tall and 4 feet deep. I am getting tired of

pulling
it.

Keep your beds edged, and if that doesn't work well, then install a root
barrier like you would for bamboo. Ornamec (active ingredient fluziflop
p-butyl) can be sprayed safely around the roses to kill the grass that has
made it into the beds. It may take a couple of applications, but it works
on even bermuda, aka, devil grass.

Old 22-07-2004, 08:14 PM
K. B.

"Bruce Musgrove" wrote in message
I thought I was installing a root barrier when I dug a 1 foot deep trench
around the bed, lined it with weed block from Home Depot, back filled it
with dirt, folded it over into the garden on top of the dirt, and laid
native rocks to hold it in place. The creeping red fescue seems to grow
right across and through the barrier. I can get the stuff on top, but the
stuff that grows through the weed block is what's killing me. It grows a
good distance befopre coming up, and it does not stop coming!

I believe it was Easy gardener weed block that Home depot had at the time.

"Sunflower" wrote in message

"Bruce Musgrove" wrote in message
Any idea's on how to keep Creeping red fescue out of my rose and

flower
gardens? It seems to grow over under and around anything in its path

excpet
concretre walls 4 feet tall and 4 feet deep. I am getting tired of

pulling
it.

Keep your beds edged, and if that doesn't work well, then install a root
barrier like you would for bamboo. Ornamec (active ingredient fluziflop
p-butyl) can be sprayed safely around the roses to kill the grass that

has
made it into the beds. It may take a couple of applications, but it

works
on even bermuda, aka, devil grass.

Better Living through ROUNDUP. You have to leave the plant for a couple of
weeks for the chemical to get to the root and kill it at the root.

Better living through 3" of bark mulch. Only the most hearty of plants can
push up through 3" (final depth) of bark.

Better living through PREEN. Use a preemergent OUTSIDE of your shrub's drip
line. THis will prevent germination.

I love roundup.

KB

Old 25-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Maggie's Mom

"William W. Plummer" wrote:

Bark mulch: 3" or more is needed ($$$$). That's because it works by
cutting off the light to the weeds sprouting. But even hemlock/pine mix
is running $29 per yard here in the Boston area.

I seem to have the same problem, though not with fescue. Pueblo CO is wet
this year, and I have variety of grasses and other unwanted stuff in my rose
garden. Considering that I work and go to school, I do not have the luxury
of time to spend hours on end weeding between the roses.
My question is: what do you think about combination of double the weed
blocking fabric with about 2" of bark mulch on top of it? Will that do the
weeds in? Would there be a danger to roses because of the possibility of
overheating?

I have soaker hoses buried around the rose plants, they seem to do pretty
good job watering without spraying on the plants. Would soaker hoses be a
problem under the weed blocking fabric + 2" of mulch?

Thanks for any input on the subject - Maggie's Mom.

Old 25-07-2004, 11:58 PM
William W. Plummer

Maggie's Mom wrote:

"William W. Plummer" wrote:

[...]

I used to follow the landscape fabric religion. But GF convinced me
that plain old newspaper works as well. It's a lot cheaper and less
bark mulch is needed. In fact newspaper (4 or 5 pages) doesn't allow
any light through and weeds don't seem to come up through it. Now I'm
thinking about how hard it will be to install it over the existing fabric.

Old 26-07-2004, 06:31 PM
Gail Futoran

"William W. Plummer" wrote

I used to follow the landscape fabric religion. But GF

convinced me
that plain old newspaper works as well. It's a lot

cheaper and less
bark mulch is needed. In fact newspaper (4 or 5 pages)

doesn't allow
any light through and weeds don't seem to come up through

it. Now I'm
thinking about how hard it will be to install it over the

existing fabric.

I would advise removing the existing fabric
before adding the newspaper.

My first rosebed came with the house and
already had landscape fabric in it. Weeds
grew through it and being new to roses, I
just pulled out the old fabric and put down
new, once a year while the roses were dormant.
What a chore! I don't do that anymore.

As far as I know removing the old fabric
didn't harm the roses (some died, but that
was probably for other reasons).

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8