Old 21-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Zemmy!!

Default Thanks! and more questions

Today I came home and found 3 blooms on my Zepherine! Here is a link:

http://my.execpc.com/~zemmy/Photo.htm

There are some brown (light tan) spots forming on the leaves and I got some
kinda bug eatin' on others (both are visible in the photo.) Any Suggestions?

Also, I am starting to train it up the trellis and am wondering if it's OK
to cut out the crossing branches now or wait until late winter (that's what
I understood from my rose books, that I should only prune then).

If this one survives the winter I may get more!

Zemmy!!

Old 25-07-2004, 02:16 PM
Roger Boughner

the small clear looking spots are from Thirps. the larger holes look like
Japaneese Beatles. The japs will do serious damage if left alone.
first do not put out beetle traps. if u do put them in your neighbors yard
(the one u dont like). the traps attract them and they eat your stuf on
their way to the traps.
I am using Malathion which will kill most anything going. Be sure to wear a
mask and long sleeves. no shorts either. rubber gloves, goggles. u get the
picture. follow directions carefully with all garden chemicals and take a
shower when u finish. some chems can be mixed to mak spraying easier. like
for bugs and fungus at the same time.
go to Ortho's online site http://www.ortho.com
they also have items that will be helpful.

Nice rose even with the holes
Roger

Old 25-07-2004, 03:01 PM
ben boorman

before you spray with malathion, you may want to read this one.

http://www.chem-tox.com/malathion/research/