Old 23-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Lady Blacksword

Default Photo's of The National Summer Show

Oh, that's the other one that's petty.
Bitching because you LIKE scrolling and someone has so cruelly deprived you
of the ( dubious ) pleasure.

Murri

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Lady Blacksword" wrote in message
I think it looks fine............And I also think fussing over an

apostrophe
is really stupid and petty.

If you had not top posted, I would have known what it is that looks
fine.
And unlike your remark, helping someone in a polite way to improve
his/her use uf English is neither stupid nor petty.

[snip]

Franz

Old 23-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Lady Blacksword" wrote in message
I wouldn't mind giving it a look.
I actually do know how to punctuate, I just find it annoying when

people
harass others for slips in their use of punctuation.
Murri

Having top-posted, it is practically impossible to know what it is
that you wouldn't mind having a look at.

Franz

"Martin" wrote in message
Doug

You will be pleased to hear that I have deleted the apostrophe

from the
photos buttons.

Spelling and grammar are not one of my strong points, being a

little word
blind as I am. My current editor for spelling and grammar in MS

Word and
FrontPage but they are not idiot proof of course! I have actually

been
looking for someone to act as editor to the stuff I keep churning

out,
without success so far, any takers?

Thanks again for the feedback.

Regards

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster

Email:
Web Site:
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Since the "New Photo's" button is so annoying due to the

apostrophe, I
chose
not to click it.

"Martin" wrote in message
Thanks for the feedback, I'll consider these points during the

next
update.

But what did you think of the Photo's themselves?

Regards

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster

Email:
Web Site:
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Martin" wrote in message
Just added to Bexrose web site at:-
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose
pictures from This summer's National Rose Show.

I think that some of these exhibits are quite outstanding,

what do
you
think?

Enjoy

Martin Double
Bexrose Webmaster

I think you should get that apostrophe out of "photo's", and

double
check
every single apostrophe on your web site, in case kids are

looking
at
it.

Old 23-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Lady Blacksword" wrote in message
Oh, that's the other one that's petty.
Bitching because you LIKE scrolling and someone has so cruelly

deprived you
of the ( dubious ) pleasure.

Having top posted yet again, you have now wrecked the thread entirely.
Please learn some good manners regarding the use of the internet and
apply it.

Franz

Old 23-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:05:00 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:
snip

After such a succession of top postings, this thread has now lost all
semblance of logical connectivity.

In which case - why bother quoting a ( badly formatted ) large part of
it, thus adding to your confused state?

Not only that, but none of your six posts ( thus far - nigh on a
quarter of the thread ) have anything to do with the OP.
In other words - you're in the way.

As regards the photos - lovely!
Keepsake was particularly inspiring, but my favourite has to be
Valerie Margaret.
I'd dearly love to field a profusion of roses in my garden, but I'm
afraid all they do is end up feeding the deer.
Mind you - I did manage to get one single rose bloom this year ( aside
from the climber up the front of the house )...which lasted for two
days before it was scoffed.

A small hint for the photos page - with so many images on one page it
can be helpful to display them as clickable thumbnails, which greatly
speeds loading of the page.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 23-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Doug Kanter

OK. Good job. I clicked the button. The photos are technically very adept,
but where's the scent??? Who designed that web site? :-)

I may regret this, but I might help you with your editing. How much stuff
are you talking about, and how often?
-Doug

Old 23-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Doug Kanter

"Lady Blacksword" wrote in message
I wouldn't mind giving it a look.
I actually do know how to punctuate, I just find it annoying when people
harass others for slips in their use of punctuation.
Murri

Yeah, but it's like fingernails on a blackboard. And even worse, back
grammar spreads like mold on bread. A kid sees misused apostrophes and does
the same thing in her writing. Three of her friends see it and do the same.
Next thing you know, a college admissions counselor sees the awful writing
on their (not THERE) applications, laughs, and throws the papers into the
trash.

The worst is when people say "Aww hell....it's just the web....good
writing's not that important."

Old 23-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Doug Kanter

"Lady Blacksword" wrote in message
I think it looks fine............And I also think fussing over an

apostrophe
is really stupid and petty.
Murri

No. Language is either beautiful or ugly. There is no in-between.

Old 23-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:
snip

After such a succession of top postings, this thread has now lost

all
semblance of logical connectivity.

In which case - why bother quoting a ( badly formatted ) large part

of
it, thus adding to your confused state?

For the very simple reason that I just don't tolerate persistent
stupidity.

Not only that, but none of your six posts ( thus far - nigh on a
quarter of the thread ) have anything to do with the OP.
In other words - you're in the way.

You are welcome to sidestep me.
My six posts were a failed attempt to persuade somebody to adhere to
good usenet practice.

[snip]

Franz

Old 24-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Martin

Stephen

Thanks for the feedback, my wife and I are delighted that you enjoyed
Valerie Margaret, as this is a rose that I have bred (out of Sunderland
Supreme x Seedling) and named after my wife.

Your hint is useful, I have been bothered with file uploading times and have
been trying to minimise this. I have reduced photo file sizes as much as
possible, and for the National Show photos I split the photos into three
pages rather than one. After loading the picture for the first time any
subsequent loading will be much quicker.
I'll look into your suggestion to try and make further improvements.

Regards

Martin Double
Bexrose - ebmaster

Old 24-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Martin

The web site design is down to me, just an enthusiastic amateur, but I am
always open to suggestions for improvement.

Our monthly news bulletin is put together by Bexrose Hon secretary (Janet
Newton) and another (Pat Powell), they email the bulletin to me for
uploading onto our web site. Bexrose also distribute hard copies of the
bulletin (400 odd) to those members that do not have computers. We are
trying to encorage more to make use of the electronic form of the bulletin,
a few members are sent the bulletin direct by email as their prefered
choice.

Other articles are mostly by me with a few from others. I would like more
from others of course in order to lighten my work load.

So to the point!
1) There is the current material on the web site all produced over about the
last 6-7 months.
2) There is the monthly bulletin.
3) Articles are produced on a random basis, averaging about one or two per
month so far. I see this trend steadily reducing as our planned list of
articles becomes complete. After that there will be just a little updating /
improved presentaion / maintenace of the articles.
4) News, Events, Show Results, and those much discuss Photos will be up
dated as necessary about once every two months.
5) Additions to existing articles as and when. For instance the article on
rose varieties / varieties for exhibition needs more photos and a much
fuller description of the varieties i.e. Scent, Habit, Etc.

Assistance in editing of all or any of the above for spelling, grammar,
technical content, presentation etc would be welcomed.

All sounds to be a lot of work but I see the next year as probably
completing the core content of the web site. And, many hands make light
work!

Please contact me direct with any further advice, comments, articles, offers
of help etc.

Old 24-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Stephen Howard

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 07:46:00 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"
wrote:

Stephen

Thanks for the feedback, my wife and I are delighted that you enjoyed
Valerie Margaret, as this is a rose that I have bred (out of Sunderland
Supreme x Seedling) and named after my wife.

Your hint is useful, I have been bothered with file uploading times and have
been trying to minimise this. I have reduced photo file sizes as much as
possible, and for the National Show photos I split the photos into three
pages rather than one. After loading the picture for the first time any
subsequent loading will be much quicker.
I'll look into your suggestion to try and make further improvements.

Martin..

The big advantage of using thumbnails is that you can link them to
larger images on a separate page.
The most efficient and widely used technique to browse such thumbnails
is by opening the image up in a separate window so that it downloads
whilst you carry on browsing the main page - and such glorious images
would benefit from a few extra Kb of data!

I can thoroughly recommend an application called Irfanview ( freeware,
widely available ) as a means of reducing image size to the best
advantage with regard to quality.

If only there was some way of downloading the scent!!

My compliments on the Valerie Margaret - your wife must be as proud
and as beautiful as the rose.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk