GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to winterize rose trees (tree roses?)? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/80197-how-winterize-rose-trees-tree-roses.html)

Maggie's Mom 25-07-2004 08:02 PM

How to winterize rose trees (tree roses?)?

This year I could not resist and rescued couple of tree roses (or rose
trees?) from our local K-Mart. If you have any doubt as to what I am talking
about, it is a rose bush on top of about 2' long "trunk". The roses revived,
they bloom beautifully - but I put them in large ornamental pots, one
plastic and the other one ceramic.
I am reasonably sure they cannot stay in the pots for the winter. Do I have
to winter them over in the ground? Any hints? Directions? I have never had
potted roses before, never mind the tree variety. Please help.....? -
Maggie's Mom.

JimS. 25-07-2004 10:02 PM

"Maggie's Mom" wrote in message
This year I could not resist and rescued couple of tree roses (or rose
trees?) from our local K-Mart. If you have any doubt as to what I am

talking
about, it is a rose bush on top of about 2' long "trunk". The roses

revived,
they bloom beautifully - but I put them in large ornamental pots, one
plastic and the other one ceramic.
I am reasonably sure they cannot stay in the pots for the winter. Do I

have
to winter them over in the ground? Any hints? Directions? I have never had
potted roses before, never mind the tree variety. Please help.....? -
Maggie's Mom.

It depends entirely on where you are, of course. I have at least 8 large
potted roses including one of those cheesy tree roses, also in a ceramic
pot. I did not winter them in the ground, nor any of the other potted
roses. Most of my other potted roses are going on their 3rd year in pots
and they're doing find w/ no protection ever. However, I'm in Seattle and
we get a very mild winter with no snow and barely any temps in the
freezings. If you get a cold winter with sustained freezing temps protect
the tree roses the same way you'd protect any other potted (or planted
roses) in your climate range.

JimS.
Seattle

Tim Tompkins 26-07-2004 02:50 PM

How to winterize rose trees (tree roses?)?

"Tree Roses" are usually double grafted, at the root stock and at the top of
the "trunk".

Depending on your climate they may need to be protected from freezing either
or both of the grafts. The top graft is the most exposed and susceptible.
When they are grown in containers there is very little thermal mass to
buffer temperature changes and the root stock graft is also subject to
damage from short periods of below freezing temperatures.

I get winter temperatures as low as -20F, in this climate they are either
'annuals' or MUST be kept in the basement or garage to survive.

Tim

Gail Futoran 26-07-2004 06:16 PM

How to winterize rose trees (tree roses?)?

"Maggie's Mom" wrote
[snip] Do I have
to winter them over in the ground? Any hints? Directions?

I have never had
potted roses before, never mind the tree variety. Please

help.....? -
Maggie's Mom.

I have an Angel Face patio rose (about the same
size as your tree roses) planted in one of those
fake (lightweight) half barrels - less than 10 gallon
capacity, at a guess. It sits on my small front porch
[concrete slab] and has done well the last two
"winters", including one early spring frost that killed
several of my established roses in beds.

Bottom line: Your tree roses should do fine in pots
as long as there is room for their roots, and as long
as they get some winter protection - whether close
to the house, in the garage or etc.

I've never kept roses inside for any length of
time so I don't know how the lack of sunshine
would affect them. You might ask the other
posters about that. I think you would also
need to be careful about watering - not over-
or under-watering over the winter. I solve
that problem by letting water drain through.
That way I can over-water without actually
over-watering. :) But doing that indoors could
be a problem.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Maggie's Mom 30-07-2004 07:28 AM

How to winterize rose trees (tree roses?)?

"Gail Futoran" wrote

I have an Angel Face patio rose (about the same
size as your tree roses) planted in one of those
fake (lightweight) half barrels - less than 10 gallon
capacity, at a guess. It sits on my small front porch
[concrete slab] and has done well the last two
"winters", including one early spring frost that killed
several of my established roses in beds.... near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Looks like zone 8 is good for potted roses. Unfortunately I live in a zone
5B - Pueblo, CO. We do get rather cold winters: 20F below and worse.
I have already asked some of the local nurseries, and I got lots of answers.
Problem is: the question was only one, and the answers were ALL different.
And none of the answers seem to make any sense.... :o(
I knew I had to protect the roots of my rose trees, and now I know I have to
protect the top graft.
Will it be sufficient if I just plant the roses somewhere where they would
normally like to grow, and if I wrapped the stem and the top graft with
something? Shipping bubble wrap maybe? If not, than what? I would hate those
roses to be "annuals" because of my inexperience.... they are so
beautiful.
Thanks for all the suggestions, and I will be waiting for more. Any help is
appreciated.

Hopeful in Pueblo CO zone 5B - Maggie's Mom.

Tim Tompkins 30-07-2004 02:11 PM

How to winterize rose trees (tree roses?)?

It's not that they must be protected from freezing. Even roses planted in
the ground will 'freeze' if the temperature is low enough for a long enough
time.

The primary goal of winter protection for roses is to slow the rate of
temperature change. The ground provides a large thermal mass or insulation
if you like, that takes a long time to change temperature. If there is no
heat source, all the insulation in the world won't prevent freezing.

All plants produce a natural anti-freeze, glycols, as part of their
matabilism, the actual freeze point of any plant tissue depends on these
glycols. The general rule of thumb for roses is the tissue will freeze at
approzimately 27F.

If a rose or most other plants, have a chance to become dormant with a
gradual temperature drop, they are much less susceptible to freeze damage.
There ARE ALWAYS exceptions.

To winter protect a 'tree rose', both the root graft and the trunk graft
need to be 'insulated'. One way to accomplish this is to literally bury the
plant, horizontally, in the ground and cover it with at least 6" of soil.

Just a little science and logic,

Tim