Old 06-08-2004, 06:09 PM
HelixStalwart

Default Q : How to make a raised bed?

I have a 2m x 0.5m corner plot with a 30cm high stone wall along one
long side and a 60cm high stone wall along a short side, with the
other two sides open.

This plot used to house 3 diseased roses which I have removed, along
with all their soil (grey, mostly clay and stones, 30cm deep) and the
subsoil (brown, almost pure clay with rocks to a depth of another
20cm).

I am considering making a raised bed by 20cm but have no idea what
materials are required. I am on a tight budget since this is a
communal area. I would appreciate knowing how most folk would go about
making a corner raised bed, along with some guide prices for the
materials (I'll convert from $ if required). I will have to do the
work myself, so nothing permanent involving cement or other tricky
stuff please. Assume no power tools and the DIY skills of a total
amateur.

Either way, I have to have some edgeing if I can't have a raised bed,
as the grass comes right up to the plot and gets mowed.

The three new roses will be Floribunda, 90cm peak growth.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:34 AM
Bethgsd

HelixStalwart wrote:

I am considering making a raised bed by 20cm but have no idea what
materials are required. I am on a tight budget since this is a
communal area. I would appreciate knowing how most folk would go about
making a corner raised bed, along with some guide prices for the
materials (I'll convert from $ if required). I will have to do the
work myself, so nothing permanent involving cement or other tricky
stuff please. Assume no power tools and the DIY skills of a total
amateur.

I've never done raised beds for roses but I do grow my veggies in raised beds.
I put down several layers of newspaper on top of the grass and then do a combo
of compost, composted manure, peat moss and top soil. To hold it all in I use
landscaping timbers from the local hardware supercenter.
The newspaper is free, the compost and composted manure come out of my compost
heaps (I have a friend with a horse), the topsoil is 1-2 dollars a bag, the
peat moss is 7 dollars for a big bag and the landscaping timbers were around
three dollars a piece. I believe I used $30 dollars worth of topsoil last time
I made a double raised bed.
Hope this helps some.

Beth
zone 7