Old 10-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Rogerx

Default Identity Problem (with rose).

For several years (3 or 4) I have been attempting to identify this
rose- -with never a clear cut answer.

PICTUREhttp://www.rogerandpeggy.com

STORY:

Four years ago, I had to be away for seven weeks medical treatment and
the deer devastated my roses. This one came back from below the
graft. It flushes from Spring until Frost. Each hip produces a
single seed. It is disease resistant and requires little care.
Insects do not seem to like it.

It is reasonable to assume it is probably a rootstock, but is it? And
if so what?

Someone suggested a "Dr Something-or-other" (forgot the name) but the
pictures I found did not match.

We refer to it as the wild rose, and it is a once bloomer but that is
all season. This picture taken in Auguest.(Zone 7)

Any help will be appreciated.

Rogerx

Old 10-08-2004, 08:57 PM
saki

"Shiva" wrote in
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.becf8f66b2ac59cdf1784654c5528266 @1092158110.nulluser.co
m:

Rogerx wrote:

For several years (3 or 4) I have been attempting to identify this
rose- -with never a clear cut answer.

PICTUREhttp://www.rogerandpeggy.com

It is Dr. Huey, without a doubt. I know the growth habit, flower form
and color. Common rootstock. There is a huge one growing in my
neighborhood on the fence of the NC Governor's mansion. Makes nice big
red hips in the winter. Nice rose. Keep it if you like it.

Shiva, are you quite sure? I looked at this picture earlier and
immediately elmiminated the possibility of its being Dr. Huey. The color
isn't what I'm familiar with from my own plants (I grow three of them---I
really like it!), though I suppose the bright pink could be a digital
color irregularity, but in checking the photo samples at helpmefind
roses, I don't see any Dr. Hueys that come close to this color.

I grow Dr. Huey in California. My specimens are dark burgundy with bright
yellow contrasting stamens, barely semi-double. My flower form isn't
quite as multiply petalled as this version, doesn't grow in clusters like
this one, and the leaf pattern isn't as dark green or quilted as this
variety. These leaves seem thinner than mine as well. Mostly it's the
color that doesn't look like Dr. Huey to me.

I wonder whether this rose repeats and whether there's any fragrance?
Perhaps the original poster would let us know.

----

Old 12-08-2004, 04:07 AM
Sunflower

"Rogerx" wrote in message
[...]

It's not rootstock if it repeats. What I think it is is Robin Hood, a
hybrid musk rose that is commonly sold ownroot and widely available. The
trusses of blooms and color and foliage all match. You can see additional
pics at http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=5233 to see if it matches.
I think it does.

Old 13-08-2004, 05:17 AM
MMMavocado

I don't want to be argumentative, but it doesn't look anything like 'Dr. Huey'
to me. DH makes smaller clusters of deep red, semidouble blooms, and his
leaves don't look even vaguely like these. I don't know what this rose is,
though.

We've grown 'Dr. Huey' as a rootstock for many years, and i commonly find it in
the North, as a surviver where the graft has failed.
Old 13-08-2004, 10:02 PM
saki

"Shiva" wrote in
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.c04e7373e14652f5a04add24a206b4d8 @1092168268.nulluser.co
m:

Hi Saki! First of all, it's really nice to "see" you!
It's been a while!

Yes, I've been lurking, but not posting much. Busy with projects and
roses, not necessarily in that order.

Short version: garden has been very good this year with two puzzling
anomalies (Dr. Huey didn't bloom at all and Zepherine Drouhin was
stingy).

Been enjoying particularly Fragrant Cloud (in the ground this year and
much happier than in a container), Climbing Souvenir de la Malmaison,
Papa Hemeray, plus several new ones this year (Climbing Butterscotch, a
lovely coffee-apricot; Midnight Blue, really dark grape and great;
Lynnie, a dark pink shrub; St. Exupery, a blue-mauve with lovely
fragrance, have one bloom on the desk right now).

Back to the rose ID: I like the suggestion that it might be the hybrid
musk Robin Hood. The clustering, flower color and leaf form do look like
that. I grow a descendant of Robin Hood called Violet Hood and there's a
resemblance (except for flower size and color, of course).

But as far as its possibly being a rootstock...I'm not sure. I'm not
coming up with any good candidates from R. multiflora or fortuniana.
Perhaps someone with more expertise might suggest something.

All the best to those with homes and gardens in the path of Charley. I
hope you all sink in your roots deeply and can weather the storm.

----

Old 14-08-2004, 02:41 AM
Rogerx

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:02:14 +0000 (UTC), saki wrote:

[...]

Hi (this Rogerx, the original poster).

After reading all the posts, there are several points I would like to
bring out, the first- -This rose has NO fragrance . Does this rule
out Robin Hood?(the nearest thing I have seen pictures of).

It repeats, often. It is a little past full bloom, and is already
putting on new growth along the main canes that will start blooming in
about two weeks, I think.

It is only my assumption that this came from root stock. All I know
for sure is that I had a HT rose in the proximity of where this one is
grownig. When the deer ate my roses I was away getting tretment for
the big "C" and it was over a year before I was able to get out and
start working in my yard again.

I thank all of you for your time and effort. Rogerx

plant identity redstar United Kingdom 8 09-07-2003 05:28 PM
Dendrobium nobile identity Wing Orchids 5 06-05-2003 07:20 PM
Wildflower identity Scott Ranger Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 02:27 PM
pear identity crisis Liz & Andy United Kingdom 1 15-04-2003 05:33 PM
identity required - is it a weed.... Pam Moore United Kingdom 3 29-10-2002 09:02 AM