Old 17-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Zemmy!!

Default New Growth

In May I planted a Zepherin Drouhin climber. With our wet June it dud well
and after a lull in growth during the dry July, the cool days of August have
produced alot of new growth. Most of this new growth is low on the bush and
I am wondering if I should trim it to give it a chance to grow taller, or
should I wait until spring to give it more direction? Either way how much is
too much?

Thanks
Zemmy!!
Zone 5

Old 18-08-2004, 03:02 AM
Zemmy!!

Thank you
Zemmy!!

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.c0ebbf29856687c19f4f6d894647bb71 @1092749108.nulluser.com...
Zemmy!! wrote:

In May I planted a Zepherin Drouhin climber. With our wet June it dud

well
and after a lull in growth during the dry July, the cool days of August

have
produced alot of new growth. Most of this new growth is low on the bush

and
I am wondering if I should trim it to give it a chance to grow taller,

or
should I wait until spring to give it more direction? Either way how

much is
too much?

Thanks
Zemmy!!
Zone 5

I would never recommend pruning a rose that young and
absolutely not in the summer. You want it to get strong.
But PARTICULARLY a climber. Some bloom on "old wood" in
other words next year's blooms come from this year's canes.
(I am not sure about ZD, Dave might know.)
So if you get snip happy you will deprive yourself of
next year's blooms. Leave it alone. In the winter when it
gets cold, cut off anything that looks diseased or dead
only, then again in the spring. I actually don't cut
anything until spring most years, at least on my climbers.
You are in Zone 5 so you need all the growth you can get.