Old 19-08-2004, 02:55 PM
Jean S. Barto

Default transplant rose bush now?

Hi folks--

I have a small rose bush, probably one of the shrub varities (I don't
remember what exact name now), that is planted in the wrong spot--it's too
shady, and the rose only blooms in the early Spring. However, I do recall
it is a variety that blooms throughout the season. It's not much larger
than when it first planted it 3 years ago or so. I'd like to move it to a
spot near my front door where it would get a lot of direct sun.

Should I move it now, or wait till the fall? It sure would be nice to see
it bloom some before the end of the season.

Thanks in advance,

Jean in SE VA--between Zones 7 and 8

Old 19-08-2004, 03:58 PM
dave weil

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:55:34 -0400, in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

Hi folks--

I have a small rose bush, probably one of the shrub varities (I don't
remember what exact name now), that is planted in the wrong spot--it's too
shady, and the rose only blooms in the early Spring. However, I do recall
it is a variety that blooms throughout the season. It's not much larger
than when it first planted it 3 years ago or so. I'd like to move it to a
spot near my front door where it would get a lot of direct sun.

Should I move it now, or wait till the fall? It sure would be nice to see
it bloom some before the end of the season.

Thanks in advance,

Jean in SE VA--between Zones 7 and 8

Oh, I'd wait until December or January. Let it go completely dormant.
You want to pick a time after the first few frosts but before the
ground freezes solid.

Old 19-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Gail Futoran

"Jean S. Barto" wrote in message
Hi folks--

I have a small rose bush, probably one of the shrub

varities (I don't
remember what exact name now), that is planted in the

wrong spot--it's too
shady, and the rose only blooms in the early Spring.

However, I do recall
it is a variety that blooms throughout the season. It's

not much larger
than when it first planted it 3 years ago or so. I'd like

to move it to a
spot near my front door where it would get a lot of direct

sun.

Should I move it now, or wait till the fall? It sure

would be nice to see
it bloom some before the end of the season.

Thanks in advance,

Jean in SE VA--between Zones 7 and 8

It's probably better to wait awhile. The
move will shock the shrub and it might take
time to recover, so even under the best
circumstances you might not see blooms.
Also, you're going from partial shade to
full sun and the rose will have to get used
to that.

If you do move it, water well (make sure
there's good drainage), and if you can
get hold of some seaweed (some nurseries
will carry it), use it as recommended on the label.
It works much like a root stimulator and is a
good general tonic.

I've recently decided to move 4 rose bushes to
different locations and I'm champing at the bit!
But this isn't a good time to be moving roses
in my area. So I understand your desire to
move the shrub now.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 19-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Gail Futoran

[...]

Growing too close to struggling rose, should I pull or transplant wildflower plants? I Love Lucy Gardening 4 16-06-2006 06:16 PM
Transplant now? HH Gardening 3 07-09-2005 05:57 AM
Can I transplant trees now? Vox Humana Gardening 11 27-07-2004 05:30 AM
Ok to Transplant Budding Rose? Fleemo Gardening 8 23-03-2004 04:36 PM
transplant my rose Sabaa Mundia Roses 4 28-08-2003 11:22 PM