Old 01-09-2004, 05:56 AM
Linda

Default Best trellis climbers?

I want to plant 2 climbers over an arch, and was wondering what rose (in
zones 9 or 10--in So. Calif) is the best bloomer-longest bloomer, scented,
most prolific? what about Cecile (I think that is what it is called--a pink
one)?

Any input would be appreciated...thanks

--
Have a Great Day!!
Linda

Old 01-09-2004, 09:57 AM
dave weil

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 04:56:10 GMT, "Linda"
wrote:

I want to plant 2 climbers over an arch, and was wondering what rose (in
zones 9 or 10--in So. Calif) is the best bloomer-longest bloomer, scented,
most prolific? what about Cecile (I think that is what it is called--a pink
one)?

Any input would be appreciated...thanks

Cecile Brunner (CL) would be a good idea, which is what you're
thinking of. It's quick growing even here in 6b. Thing is, there are
two different varieties, one which is basically once-blooming and the
other, which seems rarer, which blooms almost continuously from early
May until almost November here in Nashville (it's blooming pretty
strongly right now). Fortunately I have the latter. I got mine from
Antique Rose Emporium in Texas. You might write them to see if they
know if all of theirs are the ever-blooming variety. It isn't the most
scented, but it's no slouch when it's in full bloom. You get a decent
hit of fragrance just from the masses of blooms.

It seems fairly blackspot resistant (but not immune) and it's quite
vigorous. Expect 15 foot canes by the second year. The sprays make
good filler for arrangements.

A fairly carefree plant. Plant 'er and let 'er rip. Only downside is
deadheading. It's not necessary for continual blooming, but the more
you deadhead, the more blooms you'll obviously get. At some point,
you'll just give up because, a. there are just too many and b. you'll
have a hard time reaching them.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Hamp

Linda, Climbing Cecile Brunner is a great climber. It's very
prolific, akin to kudzu, but light on the fragrant scale. It takes
about three years to get established and repeat bloom well.