Old 09-09-2004, 12:41 AM
Rogerx

Default YELLOW ROSE, I need recommendation.(Zone 7).

Hi Group!

Next Spring, I plan to add 4 roses to my collection, three of them I
want to be yellow. I am thinking of 2 HT and 1 climber. I have 20
(3yr old +) roses, and only 1 is yellow. It is a Kings Ransom--it has
never did well, perhaps the least hardy of all my roses.

I have posted inquires to this page several times, and other people
are having great success with Kings Ransom- -I got one posting from
India, seems the rose is quite common over there.

This rose has had TLC, perhaps it is the rootstock ?? I have auto
waters, I feed Scot's Rose Food. Lately, I mulch with Alfalfapellets
and have a regular spray program(7day). Were I any kind of a man I'd
dig it up and toss it- -but I've had this thing almost 5 years.

I am partial to the Hybrid Tea or Floribunda, but would consider any
other rose that you have had success with. Also, I've been eyeing the
English Rose- - what do you think???

They will be planted in full sun.

Oh yes, some advice: Never plant a $10 bush in a $2 hole - - -think
about it.

Have a good day-Rogerx

Old 09-09-2004, 05:55 AM
Gail Futoran

"Rogerx" wrote in message
Hi Group!

Next Spring, I plan to add 4 roses to my collection, three

of them I
want to be yellow. I am thinking of 2 HT and 1 climber.

I have 20
(3yr old +) roses, and only 1 is yellow. It is a Kings

Ransom--it has
never did well, perhaps the least hardy of all my roses.

I have posted inquires to this page several times, and

other people
are having great success with Kings Ransom- -I got one

posting from
India, seems the rose is quite common over there.

Unfortunately roses available in one country
may or may not be available in another.

This rose has had TLC, perhaps it is the rootstock ?? I

have auto
waters, I feed Scot's Rose Food. Lately, I mulch with

Alfalfapellets
and have a regular spray program(7day). Were I any kind

of a man I'd
dig it up and toss it- -but I've had this thing almost 5

years.

I tend to nurse along roses as long as they have
at least one live leaf.

I am partial to the Hybrid Tea or Floribunda, but would

consider any
other rose that you have had success with. Also, I've

been eyeing the
English Rose- - what do you think???

They will be planted in full sun.

[snip]

I've never had much luck with pure yellows, and
I've planted some with high ratings. If you can go
for gold or yellow blend rather than yellow, two
roses that have done very well for me (Zone 8)
-Teasing Georgia (a monster - spreads at least 6') -
classified as a shrub, it's an English rose, bloom
described as medium yellow or yellow blend.
-Caribbean - this is one of my favorite roses,
it's a Grandiflora but at least in my garden
is about the size of an average HT; bloom
color is described as apricot & apricot blend
but I find it a brilliant medium yellow or gold.

I also have Noisettes, several of which are
pale yellow or gold yellow (e.g., Bouquet
d'Or & Crepuscule), but I think they need a
warmer climate, like mine. And they're Old
Garden or Antique roses and can get huge
so might not suit your needs.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 11-09-2004, 06:25 AM
torgo

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:41:25 -0500, Rogerx wrote:

Hi Group!

Next Spring, I plan to add 4 roses to my collection, three of them I
want to be yellow. I am thinking of 2 HT and 1 climber. I have 20
(3yr old +) roses, and only 1 is yellow. It is a Kings Ransom--it has
never did well, perhaps the least hardy of all my roses.

The two I found I liked are St. Patrick, which I have on Fortuniana
root stock (I'm in 7b but in an area where the heat of summer is a
much greater concern than winter) and Graham Thomas, the classic
English rose that grows so big in warm climates that it might as well
be called a climber. (Mine's a first year plant that has already
outgrown a 7 gallon container.)

I really don't care for yellow roses (too many Stella d'Oro daylilies
and miscellaneous daffodils in the yard already), but those two
somehow won me over.

-torgo

Old 03-10-2004, 06:00 AM
Tex

Rogerx wrote in news:uqtuj096nrujp77csrgabq471higp8gcf9@
4ax.com:

Hi Group!

Next Spring, I plan to add 4 roses to my collection, three of them I
want to be yellow.

Rogerx:
I just bought four pale yellow Perle de Jardins that I understand are
Antique roses, and are supposed to do well here in zone 7b+1/2 just south
of Austin on the Edwards Plateau. I'm a newbie rose grower. They're
sitting in the containers I bought them in, as I haven't had time to put
them into the ground yet. I'm planning to plant in raised beds to keep
them out of the heavy clay soil. Just sitting in their containers,
they've been blooming and growing like weeds, getting lots of morning and
early-afternoon sun.
Tex in Manchaca
Old 04-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Rogerx

Thanks Tex for the post- -I do not find these roses listed in my Rose
Books(But they are old). Good luck with your new roses.- - -Rogerx