Old 11-09-2004, 06:06 PM
sams

Default Ash like layer on leaf edges and stems

Hi,

I have 2 Roses, in 2x10gal containers, on sunny location of my back
yard. I been feeding with Bayer Advanced Garden 2-in-1 Rose & Flower
Care granules every 3 weeks. The blooming are so beautiful and the
leaves looks healthy untill last week. Today I take a look and the
leaves all shows kind of a layer of ash, especially on the leaf edges
and on some part of the stem. Looks like fungus to me.

Since the rose are still giving excellent bloom. It bloom out in dark
pink, about a palm size flowers with multiple layers. It coulld be
climbing type with long stems and bloom. The plastic wrapper it comes
says Arizona, Slender buds reveal long-lasting blooms on long stems.
Low-growing, less than 3'. Salmon-apricot, large, double flowers,
Hybrid Tea-Rose. At one place the word Climbing been covered with a
paper sticker so that it read as Classic Rose.

Whatever it is, I really start to like it and dont want it to die of
any disease.

What should I use to save them. I never remove the roses off the plant
when their color fades and starts withering. I think I should start
removing the flowers when they start to wither. The containers has
bottom tray/hole so excess water will flow off. So I doubt over water
or moisture being a problem.

Appreciate any help to save them from the leaf disease.

Thank you

Sam

I live in Zone6.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:33 AM
Daniel Hanna

In sams wrote:
Today I take a look and the
leaves all shows kind of a layer of ash, especially on the leaf edges
and on some part of the stem. Looks like fungus to me.

Welcome to the world of powdery mildew. There are plenty of fungicides
for it, ask at your local garden centre. Another remedy is a spray of
milk (1 part milk to 6 parts water) applied on a sunny day, which kills
it pretty quickly.