Old 14-09-2004, 01:15 AM
George V. Roberts Jr.

Default Rosa Rugosa Fall Planting Massachusetts?

Hi. I'm new to gardening in general and rose cultivation in particular and I
thought I'd try to pick the brains of those who know. I live in
Massachusetts (Zone 5 bordering on 6) and I ordered a shipment of 30 bare
root Rosa rugosa shrubs for fall planting from a nursery in Tennessee. The
nursery told me that the shipment would not be ready to ship until
mid-October. I was thinking this might not be enough time for the shrubs to
establish themselves before winter sets in, so I put the order off until
spring. But the more I read about Rosa rugosa, the more unkillable it seems.
Was wondering if you folks I did the right thing, or would you go ahead and
plant in mid- to late October? Thanks in advance for any insight you can
offer. George

Old 17-09-2004, 07:48 PM
J. Del Col

"George V. Roberts Jr." wrote in message ...
Hi. I'm new to gardening in general and rose cultivation in particular and I
thought I'd try to pick the brains of those who know. I live in
Massachusetts (Zone 5 bordering on 6) and I ordered a shipment of 30 bare
root Rosa rugosa shrubs for fall planting from a nursery in Tennessee. The
nursery told me that the shipment would not be ready to ship until
mid-October. I was thinking this might not be enough time for the shrubs to
establish themselves before winter sets in, so I put the order off until
spring. But the more I read about Rosa rugosa, the more unkillable it seems.
Was wondering if you folks I did the right thing, or would you go ahead and
plant in mid- to late October? Thanks in advance for any insight you can
offer. George

When does the ground freeze where you live?

You can plant roses up 'til then with little trouble.

J. Del Col
Old 17-09-2004, 07:48 PM
J. Del Col

[...]

Spacing for Rosa rugosa hedge? George V. Roberts Jr. Roses 5 26-10-2004 12:24 PM
Spacing for Rosa rugosa hedge? George V. Roberts Jr. Roses 0 22-10-2004 05:50 PM
Rosa rugosa Bella United Kingdom 63 10-06-2004 05:46 PM
rosa rugosa Nelson Kirsch Gardening 4 25-06-2003 09:32 AM
Rosa Rugosa Ophelia United Kingdom 4 29-04-2003 12:32 PM