Old 20-09-2004, 03:40 AM
Chris Hunkeler

Default Climbing rose Dublin Bay

Hello all,

Is it possible that a climber can sometimes revert to a non-climbing form?

I planted Dublin Bay along with two other climbers a couple of years
ago. Fourth of July and Iceberg have reached the top of the pergola and
massed on top. Dublin Bay is still only at about the same height as my
non-climbing roses, four feet.

I really enjoy this rose but boy is it slow to climb.

Cheers,
Chris

Old 20-09-2004, 09:00 PM
Gail Futoran

"Chris Hunkeler" wrote in message
Hello all,

Is it possible that a climber can sometimes revert to a

non-climbing form?

I've heard of shrub roses that became climbers
but I'm not sure of the other direction.

I planted Dublin Bay along with two other climbers a

couple of years
ago. Fourth of July and Iceberg have reached the top of

the pergola and
massed on top. Dublin Bay is still only at about the same

height as my
non-climbing roses, four feet.

I really enjoy this rose but boy is it slow to climb.

Cheers,
Chris

I'm not familiar with Dublin Bay, but I have
a 4 year old Don Juan that's still struggling to
reach the top of the arbor, while the New
Dawn on the other side reached the top and
beyond several years ago.

It might be the variety, or something about
conditions the plant doesn't like, or maybe
the individual plant isn't doing as well as
it should for whatever reason.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 21-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Charles Perry

Chris Hunkeler wrote:

Is it possible that a climber can sometimes revert to a non-climbing form?

... Dublin Bay is still only at about the same height as my
non-climbing roses, four feet.

How is your weather? Around here in MN z4a, people grow Dublin
Bay as a shrub or short pillar. It dies back most winters to the
snow line or lower and is slow to regrow long canes. Still is
regarded as a nice red.

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **

Old 03-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Registered User

Location: El Cerrito, California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Perry View Post
Chris Hunkeler wrote:

Is it possible that a climber can sometimes revert to a non-climbing form?

... Dublin Bay is still only at about the same height as my
non-climbing roses, four feet.

How is your weather? Around here in MN z4a, people grow Dublin
Bay as a shrub or short pillar. It dies back most winters to the
snow line or lower and is slow to regrow long canes. Still is
regarded as a nice red.

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Just to follow up, I planted Dublin Bay about five years ago and it is finally starting to shoot up taller spikes and almost reaching the top of the pergola. I kept it because of the beautiful red blooms and at first I said to myself that I would rip it out and plant something else but as iceberg became massive I didn't really need more roses on top.

For an older photos of the pergola (about two years ago) you can check out http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=3.4553

I live in California so the weather not killing the rose to the snow line as mentioned. I live in the foggy San Francisco Bay Area and Dublin Bay is very disease resistant.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your comments. I just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that it is worth being patient with Dublin Bay.

Cheers,
Chris