Old 29-10-2004, 02:37 PM
PatC

Default Thornless rose

I have some thornless roses that whilst very fragrant do not grow very tall
& really struggle to bloom, it seem every bug on earth wants to chew them,
thats besides the black spot!
I have tried to keep them as best I can as I've not been able to find new
varieties here, in fact none available at all for the last 5 - 8 years.
They are about waist high, & struggle to get any bigger. One now has a VERY
large shoot that is coming from near the ground, it is almost 5 times the
size of the original plant.
As I know nothing about these, can I assume that this large growth is coming
from a (graft)?. Is this how they are propagated?
By the way it is spring where I live in the southern hemisphere.
I would hate to loose them, as when I go to friends houses to pick roses I
forget that there's have thorns!
Thanks in advance for any replies
Pat

Old 31-10-2004, 06:13 AM
Gail Futoran

"PatC" wrote in message
I have some thornless roses that whilst very fragrant do

not grow very tall
& really struggle to bloom, it seem every bug on earth

wants to chew them,
thats besides the black spot!
I have tried to keep them as best I can as I've not been

able to find new
varieties here, in fact none available at all for the last

5 - 8 years.

Where are you?

They are about waist high, & struggle to get any bigger.

One now has a VERY
large shoot that is coming from near the ground, it is

almost 5 times the
size of the original plant.

That could be a reversion to the root stock.
In my neck of the woods (Texas), there are
a bunch of "wild" roses that turn out to be
Dr. Huey - the rootstock for many modern
roses in this area.

If the long cane is coming from *below* the
bud union (that knotty thing that canes are
supposed to grow out of), then it is definitely
from the root stock and should be cut off,
else the rootstock will eventually kill the top
part (called the "scion", IIRC). Most root stocks
are from roses that aren't particularly desirable
in and of themselves. Some won't bloom at all,
others (like Dr. Huey) bloom once per year.

As I know nothing about these, can I assume that this

large growth is coming
from a (graft)?. Is this how they are propagated?
By the way it is spring where I live in the southern

hemisphere.

Re propagation: Depends. Most modern roses
are grafted, although more are being grown on
their own roots, like antique or old garden
roses. You can often get a new rose from an old
plant by taking a cutting. If you're interested in how
to do that, I can direct you to some sites.

I would hate to loose them, as when I go to friends houses

to pick roses I
forget that there's have thorns!

Why not ask if you can take cuttings from your
friends' roses to grow for yourself? Spring is
a good time to do that. If successful, the
cuttings should be ready to plant by Fall.

Thanks in advance for any replies
Pat

Good luck!

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA

---
10/26/2004

Old 31-10-2004, 06:13 AM
Gail Futoran

"PatC" wrote in message
[...]

Thornless rose ID Mike Lyle[_1_] United Kingdom 4 04-05-2011 12:19 PM
Thornless climbing rose to grow in container Alla Bezroutchko[_2_] United Kingdom 19 23-02-2007 12:24 PM
Thornless Roses tonyblackpool Roses 3 06-08-2003 02:02 AM
Thornless roses Greenie LeBrun Roses 15 12-06-2003 04:20 PM
Compte de Chambord (was:Thornless roses) saki Roses 0 06-05-2003 03:21 AM