Old 27-11-2004, 04:06 AM
Mark D Henning

Default Botanica ROSES and zone questions

I have a copy of the Botanica's Roses book. It looks as though it
were published in Austrailia.

They have worldwide maps of hardiness zones. I am a bit confused...
Although the zones are defined the same way as the USDA zones
(zone4 = -20, -30). However, the actual maps place minneapolis in
zone 3. We're definitely in Zone 4.

It's not the discrepancy that I'm concerned about. There are several
roses that Botanica places as zone 4 hardy that fall into categories
that are normally not considered zone 4.

What I'm wondering is if I would be unwise to consider these "midling
hardy" and thus not worry about doing a full Minnesota tip, and
instead use a less involved method like mounding, and surrounding the
bush with straw in a chicken-wire cage? OR... Should I consder these
the more likely to survive even with a minnesota tip? (over those that
are listed 5 and 6)

Any opinions?

-Mark
Old 28-11-2004, 01:16 AM
Charles Perry

Mark D Henning wrote:

I have a copy of the Botanica's Roses book...

...What I'm wondering is if I would be unwise to consider these "midling
hardy" and thus not worry about doing a full Minnesota tip, and
instead use a less involved method...

Any opinions?

I am without the Botanica rose book, but if you had a question
about a particular variety, perhaps someone could offer an
experience or opinion on its hardiness in zone 4. If it needs to
be buried for the winter it will grow as an annual or not at all
in my z4a garden.

Regards,

Charles

--